Inlet manifold heater bypass

Trip

Done mine, I basically removed the soleniod, black vacuum box, blocked all the coolant heaters and re-routed a new source for the brake servo.

geoff pine

That's very tidy Trip do you run apower fc ?? will it cause idle problems with a standard ecu or a nisstune.

Trip

I still run on a chipped ECU :) and i do not find any problems starting up. It starts first time from cold and idles fine untill it settles down to around 900rpm. If any, it might cause problems (rough idling) for the first minute or two after you start from a stone cold engine in freezing weather. I do not have such problems but we do not have freezing weather here.

JIMMYBACK

sorry to hijack this post what is the point of this mod?? as i have my engine out i thought it might as well be done if needed

Cheers Jimmy

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
I was one of the first to do it and my reasoning was maintainability.

By removing all the pipework from the back of the manifold it means you can take it off completely in 20 minutes. If I've had any problems around the back of the engine such as water hoses, wiring, starter, pedal box, sensors, oil etc then I've always taken the manifold off first to get a better look as it's so easy.

Jim

Trip

^What the pioneer said.

It makes life much easier for servicing, and also less hoses = less leaking problems. Removing the coolant passing through the manifold should reduce heat soak too. And lets not forget weight reduction of the extra coolant the standard system needs (I removed heater too) , the vacuum box and solenoid. :lol:

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Hmmm.... if my car's already on axle stands not going anywhere, is this something I should be considering? - Do you need to buy new gaskets etc if you're taking the inlet manifold off to play with the plumbing?

Sunny-D

How much do you take out though?, so far ive only removed the small water pipes to the back of the plenum but left the link through the iar so it still see's heat, would removing the iar not cause starting problems?

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
I used a PFC so could fiddle with the map but ultimately it had little effect on my running no matter what I did.