inlet mani

1000ny

hi guys, my engine seems to be blowing at the inlet manifold, is it a complete git of a job to change the gasket. cos it don`t look easy :evil:

GINGA

Problem solving ffs :wink:
No not a engine out job, can be done in situ but its arkward will take a few hours to do but its not to bad a job :wink:

1000ny

aah but you see i was`nt asking for help on how to do it, i was merely asking peoples opinions on the difficulty of the job?

therefore its rightful place is in the general r discussion section surely? :wink:

GINGA

Its not a general thing imo that is :wink: its also not a regular servicing/maintenance sort of thing either.
You are asking about a problem with your car and advice on the sort of job it would be to repair it hence I deemed it a problem solving question.

1000ny

since we`re now in the problem solving section, any idea of the best way to do it? :roll:

GINGA

Lol
Which gasket is it for a start :?: the one for the plenum, the one in the middle of the inlet or the one where it bolts to the head :?:

1000ny

not sure really, i figured i`d find out when i got the car in bits.

and maybe replace all 3 just in case

GINGA

Well you'll enjoy this then :lol:
Remove the intercooler if still top mounted
remove the throttle cable
remove the vacuum hoses and brackets that connect to the rocker cover and inlet manifold
Disconnect the wiring to the injectors etc
disconnect the fuel lines to the fuel rail (carefully as they'll have pressure in them)
remove the dump valve pipe that comes off the plenum
remove the bracket that holds the power steering pipe to the back of the inlet
remove the plenum chamber cover this will require a cut down allen key or allen key bit and spanner this can be quite arkward to do :wink:
with the plenum off you can undo the bolts that hold the plenum to the Y shaped bracket on the back of the engine.
Now here you have the option to remove the Y shaped bracket or struggle with it in place a bit if you decide to remove it you'd be best to jack the car up remove the downpipe and oil filter and undo the bolts through the gap where the oil filter is theres also a few pipes and wires clipped to the Y bracket that need removing
Once the Y bracket is out of the way you can unplug the wires from the idle control valve and warm up regulator valve.
you can now unbolt the manifold from the head getting to the bottom bolts is arkward and is easiest with a rachet spanner available from Halfords once you have loosened the bolts its best to let them drop as there not magnetic but the washers are so can be removed with a magnet :wink: the manifold should now be loose but you will now need to remove the pipes from underneath it that go to the warm up regulator valve and this is probably the hardest part and even harder to get back on :roll:
Refitting is the reverse of above exceptI use magnetic nuts to refit the manifold as they can be positioned with a magnet and twisted on with your finger tips
This is only the sorta job you would tackle if your confident in your abilities as its not easy to say the least tbh its probably easier to remove the engine to do it but will obviously take longer :(

I'm sure I've missed a few things to so expect so head scratching moments lol

A

Anonymous

Another way which you could tackle it (and the way I think Im going to do it as my AAC valva aint working properly) is to remove the top of the plenuum with the allen keys.
Then remove the bottom of the intake manifold --> ie just leaving the throttles attached to the heads and then you should be able to have enough room to remove all air and coolant piping at the back of the throttles.

I have taken the whole intake in the way Ginga described before and trust me, frustration set in pretty quickly and i ended up cutting 3 of the hoses at the back of the throttles, then had to replace them.

You should prob aswell replace all the gaskets while your at it.

Gino

JU5TY

Im removing the inlet manifold at the moment, trying to do it whilst leaving the throttle bodies in place and unbolt the idle control valve and warm up regulator valve from the back of the inlet.

Can quite honestly say its one of the hardest jobs ive done so far, my hands are taking a pounding…! :cry:

Dan_GTiR

I've been trying to do this today, and all I can say is, what a cnut of a job.

I need to get to the temp sensors on back of engine, tried to do it the way Ginga has written and it's not an easy job. Managed to get some of the bolts out of the plenum cover but the ones underneath did not want to budge :( So it looks like I'll have to take the whole lot out :(

Not looking forward to dropping the engine either.

Good luck on doing it with the engine in, and give me a shout if you get it done, some hints and tips on how you done it would be good. :)

Dan. :)

JU5TY

For the plenum bolts I cut about 2cm's off an allen key and then put that in the ring end of a 6mm spanner with a bit of duck tape to hold it in place. That worked quite well, although all my bolts were changed quite recently so weren't that hard to undo.
I will get on with it next weekend and let you know how I got…

Dan_GTiR

JU5TY said:
For the plenum bolts I cut about 2cm's off an allen key and then put that in the ring end of a 6mm spanner with a bit of duck tape to hold it in place. That worked quite well, although all my bolts were changed quite recently so weren't that hard to undo.
I will get on with it next weekend and let you know how I got…
I'll try that one, although I don't think my bolts have ever been out, I've already snapped and allen key socket bit :( trying to undo the top ones.

I'll just try and get some releasing oil on them over the next few days, hopefully that will penetrate deep enough for me to crack them off.

Keep us post Justy on your progress :wink:

Dan. :)