I keep hearing R`s have good handling

steve963

My R handles crap, to be fair this is only noticable on tight turns (its std in suspension/tyre terms)

I got a mazda 626 L reg also, and the turn in on that big boat is 10 times better:doh:

I can get my R to oversteer but you really have to chuck it into the corners and be at high revs

what can be done for low cost to improve things?

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
I've never heard they have good handling. TBH it's not that brilliant as standard, but can be improved by fitting alot of suspension bits.

Whiteline/Powerflex bushes (anti lift kit, being one of them)
Bumpsteer kit (pair of modified track rod ends)
strut braces (upper&lower front and upper rear)
Uprated rear anti roll bar
Decent dampers and springs
Decent tyres

DanDud

Have your tracking looked at, this made the biggest difference on mine! Bigger than upgrading from Konis to Teins.
Front and rear strut braces also make a big difference.
Next on the list would be a set of coilovers and bushes after the above have been done.

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
I’m happy with the handling of my GTiR. At the moment i’m only running D2 coilovers and they are brilliant. The stability, turn in and balance is great and I’m very happy with it.
A little hard on the public roads, but that’s something I can live with, but as handling goes its good and I have no problems with it.
Only time I seem to get under steer is when I push too hard going into a corner and the tyres struggle for grip, but apart from that its tip top.

Granted, coilovers aren’t the cheapest modification, but overall they are still the best modification I’ve made and worth every penny spent!
However, I’ll be investing into some strut braces front and rear soon and try to improve it still.

Also worth splashing out on some good quality tyres and make sure that there at the right pressures.

mad max

Anybody know of a good place to go to get the tracking done in the south ,or will any tyre place be ok ?

P

pulsarboby

you will need somewhere that does 4 wheel alignment! (laser tracking)

ashills

abbey motorsport now how some of the best alignment gear going there based in surrey think its similar prices to powerstation for full alignment etc think its around 120

Fazz

I've fornt and rear strut braces, and lowering springs and it doens't handle great tbh.... not the worst though.
When on a good run, seems best to accelerate through the bend, if you lift off in the bend then it tends to oversteer, if you adjust your speed before turning, then accelerate throu, I've found this the best method depending on camber of road etc.

In fairness a 4wd does have a decent base.

Still toying with the idea of coilovers... If I go to do trackdays (if the damn thing stays fixed long enough) then I'll have a better idea if required. Don't think they are for road driving thou...

Mr GTiR

LOL @ Steve. I've never heard anyone say a stock GTiR handles well.

I've got all the things that Fastguy has suggested and i'm well happy with my cars handling. As suggested by Dan get the car 4 wheel laser aligned.

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Steve,

I wrote this a while ago as its easier to follow than most of my suspension ramblings.

http://www.gtiroc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38371

As standard they were good when they were built when the market was less performance orientated and interested in comfort as well as handling.

The main thing though Steve is your car will be about 15 years old now and a lot of the suspension parts will be worn. I always try to rotate tryes and then swap all 4 at the same time as anything to do with tyres be it pressure, wear or brand can completely mess up the balance of a car.