how to tell if the bottem end is going/gone??

Hi

just would like to know the known problems / what happens when the bottem end goes??

Im only jumping to conclusions as i havent a clue whats going on with my car.

thanks

sam

John

Low oil presure. Oil pressure taking a while to build on start up. Knocking noises.
As above. You will get a knocking on immediate start up which in some cases will fade away after a couple of seconds (did on mine) the knock will then return at usually at around 2500rpm or above and is fairly obvious, I was able to here mine from inside the car even over the 5zigen I had fitted at the time (very loud exhausts). The worse the knocking gets the more your oil pressure will drop until its had enough.

snoon

The plumes of smoke behind my car gave it away that there was an issue.

Unless I actually have a James Bond style smoke screen button I'm unaware of!!!

hi all

car revs up perfect in neutral then soon as you put it in first and go up the road from 4.5 - 6 thousand revs it runs then like kind of splutters i spose not quite sure how to explain it then in to second it starts doing it but worse wont go over 4.5 and so on. i havent tried fixing it yet as i really dont have a clue whats going on andd i dont want to pop a piston or any thing else..

i have been told by alot of people to look at the afm but how can i check it/mesure it ??

P

pulsarboby

whats the prob with it now sam?

if the bottom end was going you would have a machine gun type knock whilst feathering throttle between 2500-3500rpm
if the engines been out make sure you have not dented the sump as it only needs to be pushed up around 5mm and thats enough to starve the oil pickup pipe of oil

Braveheart

Anybody with a small bit of mechanical know-how should be able to tell if the bottom end is knocking!
Try the old "screw driver to ear" trick!
Place the hard end, star or plain end of driver to suspect source and put your ear to the handle... the noise will resonate through the shaft and give you a better idea.

chrism

do a fault code check first of all. see if that can give u an idea.

as stated sounds like its just generally going rough: cables,plugs,dizzie and so on...

doesnt sound like the bottom end. The car generally goes as it should when the big end bearings have gone, its usually just the knocking that gives it away as well as low oil pressure.

do a fault code check!

lakeview

when my bearing went the oil pressure was still ok. from the tapping noise to bearing going totally was only a matter of days

rob

its not the bottem end then... if the afm meter is playing up wat could that cause?? and when the det sensor is playing up what are the issues?? i have done a fault code check it comes up as 12 so afm but have taken it apart and it looks brand new???

thanks

sam

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Try re-earthing it. - There are generally two things that go wrong with the AFM; they get crap on the hot wire (possibly from using too much oil on your air filter), or the earth lead on them starts failing and the ECU gets the wrong message.

The AFM playing up can trigger the DET sensor (because the mixture goes out); generally you'll feel the car holding back and resisting being on boost.

chrism

I had the same code and I checked the circuit for breakages. Turns out it was a fried line on the ecu due to a short.