How to remove flywheel (this is not a how to...)

steve963

How do you stop it turning when undoing the nuts?

any easy ways?

also its got 3 blue patches on it equally spaced where its slightly burnt:

1) think i should do as manual says and repair with emery cloth:shock:
2) get it skimmed
3) get a fidanza

Thanks

Shaun

I use a socket and breaker bar on the crankpulley and either get someone to hold it or turn the flywheel until the breaker bar wedges against the chassis leg.

Mr GTiR

Shaun said:
I use a socket and breaker bar on the crankpulley and either get someone to hold it or turn the flywheel until the breaker bar wedges against the chassis leg.
DO what Shaun suggested.

If your not getting the bottom end balanced i.e. lightened and balanced crank then i would stick with the stock flywheel and get it refaced.

steve963

nice one, dosent it overtighten the crank pully bolt?

presume ill need someone to hold as the engines out

stumo

Andy, just cos the crank is balanced it doesn't mean it been lightened.

They are 2 separate things.

ashills

air gun is easiest lol but failing that if u undo the bolt against the way the crank wants to turn they will normally undo aswell ie if its a side bolt on the flywheel undo it from the inside of the flywheel so the crank doesnt want to move so easily

CanadianR

I should clarify why I said get a fidanza. How much can the stock flywheel be skimmed before it ends up like that red skyline one did?

steve963

I read the skyline thread, couldnt see the pics though cos at work

I think a lot of people have had theirs skimmed without problems though

youngsyp

Jeddeh said:
I should clarify why I said get a fidanza. How much can the stock flywheel be skimmed before it ends up like that red skyline one did?
Quite a few times I'd imagine as, skimming only takes a very small amount of material off....... fractions of inches.

As for the red Skyline disaster, I don't think that was as staright forward as it came across. If you look at the pictures, the flywheel structure failed at the fixing holes and this area isn't skimmed !

On a slightly separate note, I would certainly take the opportunity to get it lightened and balanced whilst it's off though, regardless of what you do to teh rest of teh drivetrain !

P

pulsarboby

ive got a lightened & balanced flywheel that im flogging if you wanna buy it, its only done 600 miles. im uprating due to me fitting the quaife box
pm me for a price if you want it, its 2kg lighter than standard!

MarkTurbo

ashills said:
air gun is easiest lol
Just what i was about to say, bollocks to pissing about with breaker bars and holding the crank pulley etc :lol: A snap on battery gun is just the thing for jobs like that ;-)

steve963

MarkTurbo said:
Just what i was about to say, bollocks to pissing about with breaker bars and holding the crank pulley etc :lol: A snap on battery gun is just the thing for jobs like that ;-)
well how the fook much are they then8)

Shaun

MarkTurbo said:
Its not when a breaker bar is only £12 and the Snapon vibrator is about £180 :lol:

Keira

you fooking pikey shaun :lol:

once you've got a cordless impact, you never look back, mike got a 23volt, 2 batteries job off ebay for about £80, have a look for one, trust me when i say you will wonder why you never got one sooner ;)

P

pulsarboby

agreed, those things have some real kick to them, and save loads of time and boogering about!
far better than a airgun and easier to get in small places too.
best thing i ever bought tool wise.

Keira

i paid £200 odd for mine and only got one battery, but i still wouldn't be without it, the one mike got p1sses all over mine with what it will undo tbh, same as allens dewalt, undoes things mine just tickles...although saying all that, i never charge the bloody thing up until its really dead

think i might just buy a new one :lol:

Keira

just got myself another one 8)

24v, 3 batteries, charger, case £70 delivered :shock: if its shite who cares, it cant be worse than my other one :lol: and i wouldn't be without that one, (18v) if this ones anything like mikes cheapo one it'll do flywheel and crank pulley bolts without any hassle 8)

ashills

yep have to say the dewalt impact gun is about as good as they get
never had a bolt it couldnt undo as yet (apart from a crank pulley bolt but that took a blow torch and 4ft scaffold poll lol)

P

pulsarboby

what make is it keiron, is it a rolston?
let me know if its any good when you get it, and where you bought it from;-)
my ones only got one batt, which is a bit of a pain in the ass at times.