How to have brighter headlights

Chiffs

Very cheap too.;-)

Might not work for everyone, worked for me though.

Seeing as most Rs are getting a bit old now so is there wiring.

Had problems with my lights due to very bad earths to the bulbs, decided to cut my earth leads for the headlights of and wire up brand new ones and connect them straight to the bulb and straight onto the front slam pannel above the rad therefore not using the standard earth in the normal connectionplug which i cut off:shock:

For those of you who want to know which terminal on the bulb is earth.
If you are standing infront of the car its the right pin on each bulb, ie the passenger side pin on both bulbs.

To my surpise the headlights are nowalot brighter:lol: :lol:

Only cost me a few scraps of wire and 2 spade terminals i had kicking around:lol: 8)

Plus i can now see better at night8) :-D

Last edited:
J

jpward

Nice tip might try that though mine are fine will take before and after pics for comparrison ;-)

Chiffs

Try it, put a new earth on each bulb, not a hugh difference but i noticed it as did the misses

G

GTI-R Kid

I sorted ours by dumping the crap 55/60w bulbs for (not legal) 90/100w jobbies.;-)

Must try this out as the logic makes perfect sense, and you can never have too much light when taking on the twisty bits at night which is a favourite pasttime of mine (and hers:shock: ).

J

jpward

I Run super plasma PIAA bulbs which are same as HID brightness but i am still gona try this ;-)

Dooie Pop Pop

i rewired my lights last weekend. iirc the earth was the pin on the right hand side of the bulb as you face the car not the left one which is a switchable live i think. on the ps side the middle and left pin are coloured red/green and red/blue, the right one is grey.

iv probably got this all wrong so im waiting for the :flame::lol: i found that the middle/left pin on the ps side has different colours to the ds side ones in typical jap style wiring but the right ones were both grey....

my lights work fine btw lol

Stu

J

jpward

Took a look for the benifit of some people and also tested which is which on the conector harness,

On the passenger side there should clearly be marked a BLACK lead which is the earth and is the right most connector of the 3 (as in looking into the plug terminals),

The top one is the main beam and the left is dim

Now heres the thing different story on the drivers side as the earth runs back to the dim/dip unit i think to display bulb out or main beam on not sure couldnt tell but again 3 positions are same as passengers side AS YOU FACE CAR would have taken pics but my camera is out of action

Will know later if its worth doing but leads are tiny and so bound to be resistive ;-)

Chiffs

Will double check which ones are earthed, dont want anyone screwing there car up for no reason, if it stops peeing it down outside i will go check.

Chiffs

Dooie Pop Pop you is right mate, Oops:roll: :roll: :shock: , sorry guys its the passenger side pin, corrected first post

Was mad day at work when i posted the first.

Last edited:
J

jpward

Chiffs said:
Will double check which ones are earthed, dont want anyone screwing there car up for no reason, if it stops peeing it down outside i will go check.
:? Cant you read :roll:

Dooie Pop Pop

if your full beam light on the dash comes on when you turn your mainbeams on the earth is the wrong way round;)

thanks for confirming that JP i started to doubt my own mind a little there lol

DanDud

When i bought my car it had a loads of extra wires going to the headlights. Upon further inspection 1 of the previous owners has used the existing connectors, plugged them into some relays which are connected straight to the battery, or something like that, aswell as putting new earths on, and my god their bright!

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
For what its worth, I just cleaned up my earths though I didn't knowingly have any problems before to jusify anything else.

I also use 100W bulbs :D :D ;-)

Would thoroughly recommend if you do a lot of night driving on country roads etc.

G

GTI-R Kid

campbellju said:
For what its worth, I just cleaned up my earths though I didn't knowingly have any problems before to jusify anything else.

I also use 100W bulbs :D :D ;-)

Would thoroughly recommend if you do a lot of night driving on country roads etc.
Thats definitely another thing on the "To Do" list for me so. Love my country roads at night!:)

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
They were only around £3.50 each from my local motor factors.

They are brighter than my wife's xenons headlamps too which didn't cost £7 ;-) :D