How tight to do up Mikalor type clamps

dombat

How tight should you do up a Mikalor type clamp, on say an FMIC intercooler pipe?

Mine just kept going tighter and tighter until I thought it was going to start crushing the pipe! In the end I had to remove all the pipes for a problem anyway but would be good to know for the future.

Is there an obvious "stop" or just do them up as tight as logic would dictate?

Don't want no pesky boost leaks.

J

jpward

dombat said:
How tight should you do up a Mikalor type clamp, on say an FMIC intercooler pipe?

Mine just kept going tighter and tighter until I thought it was going to start crushing the pipe! In the end I had to remove all the pipes for a problem anyway but would be good to know for the future.

Is there an obvious "stop" or just do them up as tight as logic would dictate?

Don't want no pesky boost leaks.
I never worry about exact figures tightening them but you kinda have to know when they feel tight and not over tight!

When you can see the clamp bed in about 1mm all round on the silicone i would stop and check, you could always do a test off the car with a straight section hose on a pipe and when you think it is tight try to rotate it (Silicone on the pipe) you want the least force you can get away with as over tightening as you know will deform the pipe as the Mikalors are strong little buggers :twisted: