How much power with standard manifold?

billy187

Whats the most power anyone has ever ran with a standard manifold? At what point would you say it would start restricting power?

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
To be honest I don't think it's the standard manifold that starts restricting the power, it's more that you are limited to the turbo you can bolt on it so if you want a bigger turbo (for more power) you need a different manifold.

billy187

463 for me. Im sure it would have done more too.
That should be fine then, im going to get mapped at 2bar on my 3071r.

Out of interest ed, anything in particular i will need on my setup to make good power?

Currently includes a fully forged 2.1 engine with all headwork done and hks cams, full custom 3" exhaust, 800cc inj, z32..power fc pro..etc

Last edited:

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
That should be fine then, im going to get mapped at 2bar on my 3071r.

Out of interest ed, anything in particular i will need on my setup to make good power?

Currently includes a fully forged 2.1 engine with all headwork done and hks cams, full custom 3" exhaust, 800cc inj, z32..power fc pro..etc
you might max out your injectors, so could be an idea to have an adjustable fuel pressure reg, other than that the only real way of finding the bottle neck is to give it a go and see what you find

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
As Steve says, stick it on and see what happens. What's your ignition system like? have you "lipped" all your intake hoses to stop them blowing off.

Who is doing the mapping? That has the biggest effect on how well your car performs.

TBH, 2.0bar on a 3071 sounds a bit unnecessary as its not designed to flow that much air at high revs. You need a 3076 or greater to hold that sort of boost effectively.

billy187

Im still running the standard ignition system, will that be able to cope with the high boost?

Already have a fse fuel regulator on the car but i very much doubt that the 800cc injectors would max out on a 3071r.

Not sure who im going to get it mapped from yet though...

Fusion Ed

FSE and pulsar don't mix well imo. Sard = 1000x better. I have seen 800 max out or as good as anyway.

Stock ign in GOOD condition should work, but it will probably need constant TLC.

billy187

FSE and pulsar don't mix well imo. Sard = 1000x better. I have seen 800 max out or as good as anyway.

Stock ign in GOOD condition should work, but it will probably need constant TLC.
I have a sard regulator there aswell so will just change that over if it helps...

What upgrade would be the mininum you would reccommend then ignition wise? Anything else i need to consider?

Fusion Ed

You probably haven't tried mapping with one ... Quite often I would have refused a car given the choice with one of those. Just seem to fluctuate all over the place.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I notice that Craig's 10.75s Torque Delevopments car (read "Jason Grant's old car") runs a standard FPR.

...and a standard fuel rail... and a standard plenum (actually it's slightly ported)...and a standard distributor. Plus the PCV valve is still in.

Last edited:

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
Ed, wasn't it something like 1.8 bar my 820's maxed out.

The standard fuel rail is perfectly adequate to supply the fuel necessary for 2 bar, it actually has a slightly bigger capacity than the better looking billet alloy JGY fuel rail.

The other thing is that as long as your injectors can supply the fuel at the fuel pressure regulated by the standard FPR there would be no reason to adjust the fuel pressure.

Imran, if your serious about acheiving 2 bar boost, if I were you I would look for some 1000cc injectors and strip out that FSE regulator for a standard or Nismo one.

Personally though having been very close to 2 bar on that turbo I would suggest taking it to about 1.7-1.8 bar max as the car become dangerous and undrivable on public roads at anything over that sort of boost. So go back to your standard FPR and keep your 800 injectors and see what boost they will take you too.....................

billy187

Cheers thanks for that steve..

What do you mean when you say it becomes dangerous? In terms of what?

Think il change the FSE regulator to a sard one as i already have it lying around then as soon as ive got a decent clutch sorted il get it on the rollers and just see what i can get out of it.

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
in the wet on the road 2 bar through a 3071 is dangerous, picture this............max boost set to 1.8 bar...........in the wet doing 60 - 70 in 3rd then you plant it..........mine would go sideways, country lane, motorway where ever sideways in the wet is dangerous.......

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
quite happy @ 2 bar. :)
A friend and I recently mapped his 3076 that could peak at 2.4Bar but 2.0Bar gave the best air flow at peak hp for the least boost. 2bar on a 3071 can be made to work but if you want that much hp a 3076 would do it more effectively.

The standard ignition system can be made to work but you need small plug gaps. An uprated system means you can run more normal gaps again so the car can work better off boost.

As others have said, the standard regulator is fine. I fitted a Nismo adjustable unit that hasn't ben touched from the standard position!

Last edited: