how much for new turbo?

J

japedup

what should i be paying for a new turbo. how much do they go for second hand recon. - should i get a uprated 1 - should i get mine fixed if its forked. any advice would go down a treat :D

C

Crazy

It all depends on what power you are aiming for.

I have seen standard turbos sell on this forum from about £150 but they are not brandnew :)

If you are looking to go up to 330 I would suggest a ND Super hybrid turbo because theres no more lag than with the standard turbo and on a car it holds 1.4bar(20psi) till past 6000rpm then gradually drops to 1.15bar(17psi) at the redline (7500rpm) chrisniss91 has this turbo fitted to his car and it made 337bhp on just 1.1bar boost on a completely standard engine which was 30bhp more than it was with a standard turbo, but if you are going for 400+ I would advise you to ask EDD/Ginga/Sirnixalot and a few others about the HKS GT3037.

The ND Super Hybrid is usually around £700-800 (I think) and the HKS GT3037 is a lot more but from what I have heard it is defo worth the £$£$£

Hope this helps 8)

C

Crazy

Forgot to say that if you are not planning any other upgrades then you may aswell have your old turbo reconditioned 8)

chrisniss91

I as mentioned above have the ND super hybrid turbo and for the cost is a very good turbo, it feels a lot more torquer and gave a good power increase. Mcleeve also has it and iirc Ginga has it on his car whilst waiting his new one :wink:

J

japedup

sorry for lack of info. ok its like this, my turbo has started whistling and i think its forked.i have bought this car to mod. the car is bog standard and i was wondering the best way round it, cos of my car being standard which mods do i need to have a uprated turbo. would i need a new manifold-exhaust ect.or should i just get it recon

chrisniss91

Whats your current spec :?: What boost are you running :?:
Knowing these peeps will have a better idea of what turbo is for you. what power hp wise do you want to acheive. As the super hybrid is only good for 360bhp.

J

japedup

chris as far as i am aware my car is completely standard, i want big power but i dont think it would be wise to bang a mass off turbo in a standard car.my spec is standard and my boost is standard i think. i would love monster horses, but these things take time and loads of money

zia

just because you can hear some turbo whine does not mean it gone.check the end float on the shaft and check for lateral movement.does hold boost o.k? is it smoking/throwing up oil into intercooler /exhaust?.
you have several options depending on your budget
1 recon your existing turbo
2 buy direct replacement from turbo supplier
3 buy upgraded turbo roller bearing etc

zia

p.s i.d wary of buying second-hand as you don,t know the what condition it has been in.

B

blr123

japedup said:
chris as far as i am aware my car is completely standard, i want big power but i dont think it would be wise to bang a mass off turbo in a standard car.my spec is standard and my boost is standard i think. i would love monster horses, but these things take time and loads of money
Hi there,

Turbo Sport will re-con yours to Stage 1 for £310 all up done & delivered :wink: that's good value at that price :wink:

You could give Mark at Turbo sport a call on 01480 406886 8)

Cya Bryan

PS Have sent you a PM as well :wink:

Mr GTiR

Ring Uncle Ian @ Hi Teq and ask him about one of his hybrid's.

Adrian Cash got 380bhp @ 1.45 bar out of his a few years back but had internals.

bloody good turbo, trust me :wink:

B

blr123

Yeah that's fair comment I was just thinking about the cost rite now at £310 that would allow him to do other bits & pieces aswell eh :wink: cause it might not be the case that he has pots of lolly at the mo 8)

Cya Bryan