HOW MUCH BOOST ??

kingy

ive just bought a electronic boost controller and i wondered what boost to safely run on a standard 30k mile m reg apart from new uprated clutch.
the controller is a TurboSmart boost management system which allows you to run 3 different boost levels in bar psi or kpa and you can set when your wastegate opens and closes and all sorts of clever shit i dont understand yet.
has anyone heared of these things? and how good r they? thanks in advance.

A

Anonymous

1 bar and a possible 1.2bar with an uprated fuel pump safc etc.

Nick.

LeeSmith

is 1.2 bar safe with standard internals is it?????

everyone told me 1.0bar....I have uprated clutch, fuel pump, boost is set at 1.0bar via bleedvalve (will b changing to electronic controller t christmas though) will 1.2 be a lot of difference?

J

J-GTi-R

You'll need a fuel controller to run 1.2 bar safely. 1 bar is fine on the standard map, but beyond that you really need to start mapping the fuel delivery to suit the boost.

1.4 bar is possible on standard pistons if the fueling is right (as proved by Memski).

turblio

1.55 bar last night on the M4 on my way home :shock: (testing out my new boost controller!) but not on standard internals :p , seriously though 1.1 bar should be ok if every thing is spot on
Frank

E

Edd

I personally think, if you love your car and can't afford a new engine you should get your car properly set up even if running just 1 bar.
We've seen lots of posts by people who are running 1 bar and getting det, and i don't think it's worth the risk of just thinking 1 bar is safe.
Your best bet is to get it set up to make sure timing is right, and whack an uprated fuel pump in.
But you could go to RC and run 1.4 bar if you get apexi gear ;)

And i reckon Mem has forged pistons, his compression is far too high in all 4 cylinders to be std pistons or head gasket. Somewhere i think it's had a partial rebuild, may just be a steel headgasket or maybe more :shock:

turblio

I have seen memhets (spelling?) max recorded boost 1.68 bar!! so
I would agree with Edd, dont think I would risk that on mine :shock:
if they were standard pistons it is amazing they are holding up
Frank

M

memski

Yeah it was a spike, on the convoy down to Bracknell no less :p Standard turbo is on the way out though :roll: