hotter oil after fmic install

CanadianR

For whatever reason, the oil decides it will run a bit hotter than usual according to the oem guage. Before it used to sit in between the 2nd and 3rd line on the guage, now it sits between the 3rd and 4th and sometimes almost makes it to half way on the guage.

Only things that were done were remove the AC condensor, and install the fmic from fleecebay.

anybody know what would cause the temperature difference?

antgtir

Maybe fueling?

If the fueling is incorrect then engine temps would increase and so oil temp would increase. Correct fueling will act as coolant for the engine.

Maybe get yourself an oil cooler as those temps seem very high for norm driving, i would see those temps if i gave the car some stick.

Ant.

J

jpward

CanadianR said:
For whatever reason, the oil decides it will run a bit hotter than usual according to the oem guage. Before it used to sit in between the 2nd and 3rd line on the guage, now it sits between the 3rd and 4th and sometimes almost makes it to half way on the guage.

Only things that were done were remove the AC condensor, and install the fmic from fleecebay.

anybody know what would cause the temperature difference?
Extra front exchanger now makes radiator less efficent so you water temps should be slighty higher and then also your oil/water cooler as there is less of a tempreature differential across them now.

Get yourself an oil cooler ok you only need it for 6 months at a time but will help keep things cool ;-)

steve963

mines about 80-90 normally but goes up to 100 under moderate thrashing...

am running 1.2bar though

I believe 120 is bad!! (line after the centre)

J

jpward

90-100 Is a good target

Over 115 and you are risking the oil thining out and doing in a bearing like me and a few others and you dont want that trust me!

:doh:

O

Odin

I'd also invest in one of the absolute radiators double sized cooper rads, Their only about £120 delivered, So probably cheaper for you.

I didn't have any issues at all with mine, But I am using a 53mm koyo rad and 19 row oil cooler.

Rob

CanadianR

There was only the one vacuum pipe that needed to be connected, am I right? The one that goes "through" the intercooler, and is also connected in line with the wastegate? I joined the two hoses with a brass fitting that was a bit larger than the oem connectors on the tmic.

Does that joiner play around with pressures or anything? I want to make sure I'm not running lean or anything and have my engine blow up like Ben's did.

J

jpward

CanadianR said:
There was only the one vacuum pipe that needed to be connected, am I right? The one that goes "through" the intercooler, and is also connected in line with the wastegate? I joined the two hoses with a brass fitting that was a bit larger than the oem connectors on the tmic.

Does that joiner play around with pressures or anything? I want to make sure I'm not running lean or anything and have my engine blow up like Ben's did.
It should be ok as long as it is not yards long
best having short pipe runs that you can get to avoid pressure loss, with your intake charge now being lower on boost you will be supplying a denser charge meaning more air per cyclinder fill but this is only really on full boost and should not see you leaning enough to see AFR's go towards 14.7 unless you have also raised the high boost level?

CanadianR

I have not raised the boost or done the bar loop yet. I'm waiting for funds after school in the spring to order a wideband AFR guage for peace of mind.

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
Odin said:
I'd also invest in one of the absolute radiators double sized cooper rads, Their only about £120 delivered, So probably cheaper for you.

I didn't have any issues at all with mine, But I am using a 53mm koyo rad and 19 row oil cooler.

Rob
and it's protected by 4 brick walls it never leaves :lol: :lol: :lol: