Horrible noise...!

G

Glyn

Hi everyone, really hope someone can help. My R has developed a grinding clunking scraping noise from the engine which is heard quite loud on tickover but does'nt get louder as the revs build. its not a constant noise i.e not in time with engine, and can dissapear for moments :? Now today the Alternator belt slipped (batt light came on also) but the belt is tight. has anyone had this prob? Could it be alternator shaft bearing? Any advice on this noise much appreiciated.

J

jasegould

Any advice on this noise much appreiciated.
Take the belt off and make sure the alternator is ok, and the water pump/pulleys etc
Jay

J

jiw

i had a bad rattle before, it was exactly as you described it and sounded like it was coming from the timing chain area, it turned out to be the nut that goes on the long bolt which holds the altenator on, it had fell off and the bolt was rattling around inside the hole, sounded quite nasty, jeff

G

Glyn

Cheers for the quick response guys :D I've checked water pump/pulley cause I only replaced the pump 6month ago, but yeah Jay I'll remove both belts and re-check while I look at what Jiw said.

G

Glyn

Thanks for responding guys, it WAS the alt bearigs, this morning on way to work it seized and the belt burned off :shock: I'm in the middle of fittin replacement now (£60 from scrapper, is this ok) but really need part No. of belt- Nissan or other make, its with air-con but I dont mind without I never use it.

geetee

You can get the belt from any motor factors - just changed mine.

You need a 6PK1025 to 6PK1035

The 6 is the number of ridges on it and the 1025 - 1035 is the length. Anything in that range will do, there's loads of adjustment.

Should be around a tenner.

Cheers
GeeTee 8)

G

Glyn

Cheers GeeTee :) it was the legnth I was stuggling on (of the belt that is) nice one.