Hesitation when starting

A

Anonymous

Ok this isnt really critical but its getting really annoying and i've only had the car back on the raod for about 4 days

since i put my car back together the car hesitates a bit when it is
started after the engine has been off for a while. Not necessary when its cold but just off for a while

When i took the box out i also took out the throttles and injectors
and fuel rail, got the injectors service and replaced the rubber
seals, etc, etc, replaced the throttles no worries. I also got the
starter checked out and it too was fine.

when i first got the car it always started first go, now when the
engine has been off for a while if takes about 3-4 cranks for it to
start and when it does its only doing about 200-400 revs (its sounds horrible)and then she comes to life.

If i turn her off and then on again it starts first go.

What could be wrong?

I think it has to do with fuel because other than that the car is
going fine, idles as it should, drives as it should and its not
sluggish, is there some sort of no-return valve in the fuel lines
because it seems that whilst the engine is off as if the fuel runs
back to the fuel filter??? (does that makes sense) so that when its
started there is no fuel in the fuel rail to start the car so it has
to wait for the pump to pump it in again.

Could there be air bubbles in the system and i need to bleed it. I
didnt think u needed to bleed the fuel system??

doesnt sound like elctrical problem, but more like a fuel problem

a little help? Has this happened to anyone?

Gino
[perhaps i should replace the fuel filter]

In da integra and civic
switching fo' lanes
wit da pedal down screeming out racin' aint a thing

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Has it just started since you did the work or has it ben there for a while. It might be the fuel pressure leaking before you start it. It could be needing to build compression up in the cylinders if you have worn rings, or the plugs needing to clean themselves abit before they want to play or it might even be normal. If it sounds horrible tho, I'd be looking at wear in the engine (rings/bearings?) Does the oil pressure build OK ie quickly?

zia

is the feul pressure reg have a vaccum pipe on it? check that is not leaking vaccum.did you adjst the throttle in any way? you might have moved the tps from its idle position?

zia

lord of the "R"

A

Anonymous

Fast guy - I doubt the engine has any wear, it was only off the road for 3 weeks and before that the engine was perfect, no copmplaints, and even now its only the first time i start the engine after a while, once its going i dont feel any power loss or sluggishness.

Whilst the car was off the road i also did a full service, new oil, oil filter and NGK platinum plugs so i dont think its the plugs, sounds more like a fueling problem

Oilo pressure is fine, build up as it should and whilst driving and idling its as it should be

J10GTR - i got the injectors serviced, they checked them before cleaned them and checked them after.

zia - yes im aware that the fuel pressure regulator has vaccuum hose, i was also thinking that this might be the source of the problem, i will check it out today. No when i took the throttles i did no adjusting whatsoever, and i dont think this is the problem as the car idles fine when driving.

Thanx guys for the ideas but the one that seems more feaseable is the leak one, i will check all vaccuum hoses to the fuel reg and the fuel lines to the fuel rail. One more thing i can think of is that maybe one of the injector seals hasn't seated properly hence allowing air to enter the fuel system and this would explain why the car needs a bit more to come to life.

cheers

Gino

In da integra and civic
switching fo' lanes

A

Anonymous

Problem solved (i think)

took intercooler off, moved injectors one by one and injector for
cylinder #1 bingo i could hear pressure escaping, found the bitch!

removed fuel rail and injectors checked rubber seals, and injector 1
wasn't seating properly, checked vaccuum line for fuel regulator
just to be sure -> fine, chgecked fuel lines for leaks cracks -> fine

replaced everything, turned ignition on let fuel pump rpime, cranked
and BINGO started first go. SOLVED!

Gino

In da integra and civic
switching fo' lanes