help with fitting a/f gauge

gtirjoey

i have just tried installing my air fuel gauge today, having problems getting a reading. there is three wires coming from gauge (live + earth) and then the one to for the lambda signal tried connecting the wire to all three wires coming from sensor but no matter what wire i connect it to i do not get a reading!! Any ideas i must be doing something wrong???

gtirjoey

Thanks for quick reply!!!1
do you have to take it from ecu wire then? if this the case this is my mistake as i went into wires on lamda sensor!!

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Are you fitting a wide band gauge? If so, you'll need a wide band sensor, which as far as I know, the standard one isn't.

gtirjoey

no not a wide band gauge mate jus a gauge for a normal lamda sensor, would like a wide band but money tight at the mo

geoff pine

What do you think the narrow band will do other than flick backwards and forwards on the dial ?. I would be surprised if you could get an accurate reading of it.

MarkTurbo

geoff pine said:
What do you think the narrow band will do other than flick backwards and forwards on the dial ?
Absolutely fook all :lol: Must be one of the most pointless gauges ever invented ;-)

GTi-R23

So the standard lambda isn't wideband then? I always thought it was? Anyone confirm this for definite?

I have a narrow band AFR gauge knocking about from an old 'project', may as well bung it in the R if the standard lambda is narrow band.

Ok you're not going to be able to take an accurate reading, but I wouldn't say it's totally pointless, nice to be able to keep an eye on things to make sure the mixture isn't leaning out drastically at the top end. Besides, if you're talking about useless gauges, then the OE oil pressure gauge is the one to slate by the sounds of things.

The way I fitted it in my old car, was obviously it needs 12V on it, (2 wires) then it has one signal wire that basically reads 0-1V coming from the sensor, I'd personally tap into the sensor side of the wiring rather than the loom side. Of the 3 wires on the lambda sensor itself, 2 will be for pre-heating it, and one will be a signal wire.

GTi-R23

Ok, good enough for me.

I'll have a bash when I have 5 minutes to kill. I'll also have a go at fitting the gauge :yo:

gunmetalgtir

I fitted one into my Pulsar (yes it's a bit pointless but it looks good! :lol:) Theres a pic in the members R section! It's not a very good pic but its the top one out of the two on the A pillar.