Help! white smoke cloud

steve963

was giving the car some stick and got the oil to about 100-110 degrees, silkolene pro 10w-50

when booting it in 4th thought I saw big white cloud of smoke come out the back:shock: (Im only 50% sure, as back window was a bit misty)

do you think its the turbo oil seals are going and the thinner hot oil got passed?

its not done it since, but havent had the oil that hot

(to make it worse some young lad was behind filming me on his phone:lol: )

should I be worried?

steve963

dont think so, Think it was a cloud as I approached 7K rpm, not real thick but covered both lanes

just hope it was some mong with a smokey fire! (unlikley in middle of nowhere though, lol)

was overtaking 2 cars, looked in rear view mirror when got past them.

is this likely as I only caught a quick glimpse so cant be sure?

gtir_pimp

are you sure it was white smoke? that oil tem seems high. i was giving mine some stick earlier and oil temp was not much over 80. it gets hotter when sitting in traffic! isnt white smoke water being burnt, blue is oil and black is petrol

steve963

defo white,

my oil is 80 at low!, booting it takes it up to 110degrees, but this takes 5-10 minutes of 'fast road'

std gauge only starts at 70! are you sure, also mine gets cools to 80 in traffic

I thought when turbos went white smoke was the order of the day!

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
gtir_pimp said:
isnt white smoke water being burnt
When you start your car up on a cool day the "white smoke" is moisture exiting the exhaust and will stop after 10mins or so.

It could well be your turbo seals that are going. Is it a standard turbo and what boost level are you running?

Oil temps can depend on how hard and long you car pushing your car for. As an example I've hit temps of 130 on track with a front mounted oil cooler.
Swings and roundabout really!

gtir_pimp

fubar andy said:
When you start your car up on a cool day the "white smoke" is moisture exiting the exhaust and will stop after 10mins or so.
obviously thats just condensation which is normal. but white smoke is a bit different like something being burnt. i thought if the turbo was going you got blue smoke. ive had it 3 times now!! after gear changes when warm/hot and on tick over when hot

steve963

its std turbo. 60K miles on car. 10K of that at 1-1.2bar

I hear the std turbos dont last long at 1.2 bar!

My oil temps are usually 80-90 but go to 100-110 when having some fun, but i dont take em any more than that (or so the std gauge says!) even then its rare ill go for prolonged blasts at over 100degrees

John

steve963 said:
its std turbo. 60K miles on car. 10K of that at 1-1.2bar

I hear the std turbos dont last long at 1.2 bar!

My oil temps are usually 80-90 but go to 100-110 when having some fun, but i dont take em any more than that (or so the std gauge says!) even then its rare ill go for prolonged blasts at over 100degrees
You heard right, I got just over a year of use out of the stock turbo on that level of boost :doh:

Braveheart

Could be head gasket ..... oil and water entering cylinder.
Check your rad cap and oil filler cap for gunky film.
Your intercooler and IC piping may have a build-up of oil in them and you have drawn that in through the carbs as you drove it with spirit for 10 mins... ;-) Prolonged heat on the IC pipes can thin the build-up alowing it to flow/travel into the cards, burt in the engine and out the tail pipe.
I must stop smoking... so must your R.... :)

steve963

Braveheart said:
Could be head gasket ..... oil and water entering cylinder.
Check your rad cap and oil filler cap for gunky film.
Your intercooler and IC piping may have a build-up of oil in them and you have drawn that in through the carbs as you drove it with spirit for 10 mins... ;-) Prolonged heat on the IC pipes can thin the build-up alowing it to flow/travel into the cards, burt in the engine and out the tail pipe.
I must stop smoking... so must your R.... :)
yeah this sounds like the least expensive:thumbsup: My R has liquified the crap in its bowels and digested it:thumbsup: My expensive problem has turned into my pipework being cleaned:-D

Seriously though..... I hope your f'in right:thumbsup:

Braveheart

I hope so to!
If it's just your pipe work and or turbo you are laughing.... replace it with a disco potato.. ;-)

steven_c

steve963 said:
defo white,

my oil is 80 at low!, booting it takes it up to 110degrees, but this takes 5-10 minutes of 'fast road'

std gauge only starts at 70! are you sure, also mine gets cools to 80 in traffic

I thought when turbos went white smoke was the order of the day!

mine does the same as you when driving hard the oil rise's.. but then drops in normal driving

steve963

steven_c said:
mine does the same as you when driving hard the oil rise's.. but then drops in normal driving
yeah, this is normal, I think, Oilman says this oil is good for 120degrees all day!

(anyway... how are them Swedish women?...)

steve963

just hope mine is!

spent ages putting lowering springs on the back, only to find out gators had gone, so gonna have to do whole job again when new gators arrive