HELP!!.. oil filter seal blowing

P

Pizza

Hey folks,

I need your help. My R is blowing it's oil filter seal. The pressure is serious. When it goes as soon as you start the car the very expensive Mobil 1 blood floods out of the filter seal all over the garage. I mean a pool here. My mechanic has retightened the filter twice and again the seal has leaked. Is there something seriously wrong here? :cry: Does the R require some special filter?

The mechanic says the teeth are fine on the filter and the block. There is no oil escaping anywhere else. No oil in Intercooler or oozing out any hoses. Any suggestions? Please someone tell me my car is not doomed. :shock:

mattygti-r

if its a Nissan Filter the R requires the "MICRA" FILTER

whats the part number that you have on the filter?

Shaun

:wink: Just check and make sure you havent trapped the pressure sensor wire between the faceplate and the oilfilter,as this can sometimes happen :wink:

P

Pizza

On the oil filter box it is says Nissan 5208-53J00. The box lists SR20DET on the applications so I don't know. It should be the right one. :(

P

Pizza

Shaun said:
:wink: Just check and make sure you havent trapped the pressure sensor wire between the faceplate and the oilfilter,as this can sometimes happen :wink:
I'll let my mechanic know. If it were only something so simple. Thanks

P

Pizza

vpulsar said:
Just get a new one and start again :wink: .

rob
You must mean get a new R because it has blown the seal on 3 different filters. :shock:

O

Odin

Well that would tell me it's time to change the filter housing matey :roll: :wink: , Maybe it's not flat anymore :idea:

rob

P

Pizza

vpulsar said:
Well that would tell me it's time to change the filter housing matey :roll: :wink: , Maybe it's not flat anymore :idea:

rob
Now that's a good suggestions. Is that a complicated procedure?. Where could I find such a thing?. Does it invovle welding?

I just want to make sure it's not something faulty somewhere else. I notice the pressure guage is reading okay when the oil is clearly leaking out. I thought it was just a faulty guage. Could there be something related here?

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Pizza said:
On the oil filter box it is says Nissan 5208-53J00. The box lists SR20DET on the applications so I don't know. It should be the right one. :(
OIL FILTER ______1520870J00 £5.20 That's the number we have. It's different to yours. :?

A

ard1ey

I have a nasty feeling the 53J00 is the filter that came off my car during a drive. It says SR20DET on the box, but its utterly useless for our car. Go back to Nissan and give them the part number Fast Guy put up, if they tell you you're wrong ignore them.

P

Pizza

okay I called the official Nissan dealer here in Jamaica and they dont have that filter in there system. i'm going to try a few more places and see if I can find it.

P

Pizza

Okay called over a dozen places. Nobody has this 70J00 filter. I cant even find it on-line in the states. It seems only Japan and the UK. Now before I order up 12 filters for the year from you guys and ship them here... I'm not sure if this is the prob. Every site i've checked uses the 70J00 and 53J00 interchangeably. I'm not sure what's the difference.

However we have several Rs out here and I assume they use the locally available filter here without incident which makes me wonder if there is a problem else where that's causing too much pressure to buildup. I've asked my mechanic to investigate the possibility of changing the filter housing. Is there too much oil in the system?. Would an oil catch can help the situation?

J

JohnnyGTiR

The filter you are using is the correct one (same part # we use in oz).

If the engine is developing excessive oil pressure it could be a problem with the pressure regulator valve on the oil pump.

Also check the sealing face on the filter housing for pitting, wear etc

John

O

one Gti-R

I am one for simple solutions.

You mentioned that the oil filter leaked and your mechanice re tightened it a few times.

1st point is was he re tightening the same filter or was he changing the filters ?

2nd point now I know this is simple but it can easily be forgotten. when you or your mechanic fitted the filter was the seal lubed with oil before fitting if this is not done the filters will leak. regardless if they are re tightened.

I am probably wrong but alot of the time the problem is simple but just over looked. just thought I would mention it

P

Pizza

JohnnyGTiR said:
The filter you are using is the correct one (same part # we use in oz).

If the engine is developing excessive oil pressure it could be a problem with the pressure regulator valve on the oil pump.

Also check the sealing face on the filter housing for pitting, wear etc

John
Thanks for the tip. I'll have my mechanic look into the possibility of the pressure regulator. At this point i'd just change the oil pump. Does the R require a special pump or could a bluebird or sunny pump work as well?.

P

Pizza

one Gti-R said:
I am one for simple solutions.

You mentioned that the oil filter leaked and your mechanice re tightened it a few times.

1st point is was he re tightening the same filter or was he changing the filters ?

2nd point now I know this is simple but it can easily be forgotten. when you or your mechanic fitted the filter was the seal lubed with oil before fitting if this is not done the filters will leak. regardless if they are re tightened.

I am probably wrong but alot of the time the problem is simple but just over looked. just thought I would mention it
No problem with the simple questions. I wish it were something that simple. I'd drop to my knees and thank God. But..

1) He was changing 3 different filters in the space of 2 weeks.
2) I assume he used oil.. I say assume because I dont proclaim to be very familiar with these things but even i know to do that and he has been working on all kinds of cars for about 15 years so I'd be very scared if he did'nt. i'll ask him in the morning and be ready to take the car to a competent man if he did'nt :D

The previous, previous owner who I spoke today admitted that the car did have this problem when he owned the car before.