heat wraping intercooler hot pipe

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I think it is, but opinions vary. - My logic is that the hot side is pretty close to the exhaust manifold and turbo (obviously), so it should help to stop it collecting any more radiant heat... however, I can see that reflective wrap is probably better for that than exhaust wrap is.

skiddusmarkus

Yeah radiators and intercoolers but the rest of the heat wants to be kept away from the intake and oil/water/fuel lines as best as possible.

Fusion Ed

Agree, as the turbo outlet temp is probably higher than the pipe would reach normally from external heating.

skiddusmarkus

When I had my turbo outlet as bare metal, it was too hot to touch being close to the manifold.How hot are the charge temps post turbo just from being compressed?

The standard turbo outlet does a decentish job of avoiding the manifold but most front mount kits take the pipe over the top of the mani allowing it to soak up a lot of heat.

Need someone a direct comparison with and without wrapping, logging charge temps really.My guess is that the amount of charge heat it would lose through that short bit of pipe left unwrapped would be less than it's being heated by the manifold.

Last edited:
Compressor outlet temperature is defined by:

Tout = Tin + Tin*[PR^(gam -1/gam) - 1]/Eff_compressor

Temperatures are in kelvin, PR is pressre ratio, gam is 1.4 for air and Eff_compressor is the compressor efficiency (70% is a pretty good estimate for most running points)

so at 2bar and 15C inlet temp outlet temps will be around 105C.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
105C is still cooler than the exhaust manifold etc, so does that mean lagging the pipework is a good idea to prevent it gaining more (radiant) heat? - That's how I'd read it.

skiddusmarkus

It does John, just needs someone to measure which way cools the best most of the time.It might be that if you are constantly boosting, then no lagging works best as the charge temps from the turbo are constantly higher so radiating from the pipework is better(I know manifold temps will be too but the pipework isn't going to raise 100's of degrees C like the manifold will).It might be that if you aren't boosting as much then you're better to lag it to cut down on heat from the manifold.

fast eddy

I have put reflective tape on my turbo outlet pipe only on the side that faces the exhaust manifold to stop radiant heat from the manifold even though it is ceramic coated, but allowing heat to pass out of the hot pipe to the intercooler. Also i have a vent in my flat bonnet above the manifold to let heat out from the radiator, intercooler, pipework and manifold. Made sense to me as i have been playing with cars for 30 years and i am getting 335bhp at 1.1bar.

Eddy

gtirx2

I just wrapped my stock manifold instead,does a real good job in keeping under bonnet temps down imo.
With a wrapped manifold i dont think there would be much if any benifit to wrapping the hot pipe aswell?

There maybe a possibilty of the cast manifold cracking due to this though,especially if ported,but tbh i dont think i have ever heared of a gtir manifold cracking?

Have also read about heat soak back into the head doing bad things with wrapped manifolds/turbos and down pipes etc,so i only wrapped the manifold and left the downpipe and turbo free.

On the plus side the now hotter exhaust gasses are ment to travel through the turbo faster and are ment to help improve the spool up speed,not that you will actually notice it lol.

If there are any adverse effects to the turbo with a wrapped manifold i do not know,maybe more likely to crack around the wastegate port?

Not sure I would bother with wrapping the pipe work. I think a better approach is to mirror polish the pipe work and insulate the heat sources e.g. exhaust manifold, turbine housing and down pipe. The reason I would take this route is the main mechanism for heat transfer to the intercooler pipe work is radiation. By either wrapping or ceramic coating the exhaust system it will reduce the surface temperature and also reduce the coefficient of emissivity. Then my mirror polishing the intercooler pipe work the amount of energy absorbed. The other benefit of this is that polished surfaces are better at radiating heat so that when the under bonnet temperatures are lower than the intercooler pipe work it will have the effect of helping to cool the charge temperature before the intercooler.

Another approach is to look at better ways of routing the pipe work instead os passing it over the top of the exhaust manifold.

In the grand scheme of things I'm not sure how much difference it really makes as the charge air moves through the pipe at a high speed and I'm not sure how much energy is transferred from the pipe work to the air.

In terms of TMF (thermo-mechanical fatigure) which leads to wastegate port cracking. Wrapping the exhaust manifold ill raise the turbine inlet temperatures which could make the situation worse. But in all honesty wastegate ports crack regardless, so will it be noticabley worse; I doubt it.

fast eddy

Not sure I would bother with wrapping the pipe work. I think a better approach is to mirror polish the pipe work and insulate the heat sources e.g. exhaust manifold, turbine housing and down pipe. The reason I would take this route is the main mechanism for heat transfer to the intercooler pipe work is radiation. By either wrapping or ceramic coating the exhaust system it will reduce the surface temperature and also reduce the coefficient of emissivity. Then my mirror polishing the intercooler pipe work the amount of energy absorbed. The other benefit of this is that polished surfaces are better at radiating heat so that when the under bonnet temperatures are lower than the intercooler pipe work it will have the effect of helping to cool the charge temperature before the intercooler.

Another approach is to look at better ways of routing the pipe work instead os passing it over the top of the exhaust manifold.

In the grand scheme of things I'm not sure how much difference it really makes as the charge air moves through the pipe at a high speed and I'm not sure how much energy is transferred from the pipe work to the air.

In terms of TMF (thermo-mechanical fatigure) which leads to wastegate port cracking. Wrapping the exhaust manifold ill raise the turbine inlet temperatures which could make the situation worse. But in all honesty wastegate ports crack regardless, so will it be noticabley worse; I doubt it.
I agree with you mate as that is what i have done. Zircotech coated manifold. Hot pipe modified to pass in front on manifold and polished and a little heat reflective mat on hot pipe just where radiant will come off manifold, plus a vent in bonnet above manifold to help such out hot air.

Eddy