Headlights - this will test ya!

S

S.J

heya mates,

basicly about a month ago my headlights just decided to not work, had a mechanic look over it an he couldnt find the problem, when i turned my lights on .. the back lights came on fine, just not the headlights

so what we did was made a live loop direct from the battery, into the lights so they were on all the time .. but then put a section in it to put a fuse in so obviolsy it wouldnt kill my battery when i wasnt driving it .. bit annoying i had to pull over an go under the bonnet to put a fuse in for my lights to work but hey .. atleast they were working! .. but suddenly .. this has stopped working now!

heres the strange bits

When we made the loop straight from the battery to the lights, i'd put the fuse in, lights would come on, but my front fog light switch would light up?? its not even connected to the front fog lights .. i havent even got front fog lights! .. also whilst my fuse for my lights was in (so lights were on).. an i switched my fog lights switch to off .. it would blow the fuse! i cant see how this loop would be affecting the fog lights that i dont have haha

also .. whilst driving with the headlights on using the loop we made under the bonnet .. i wouldnt have main beam .. it would just be dip .. but to make it stranger .. as you know when you flash someone .. you just pull the stalk towards you, well that doesnt work unless i pull the stalk about half way back, you can see them try to come on .. an if ive a steady hand on the day ... i can actualy find the tiny area the stalk needs to be in for the main beam

has anyone got any ideas what could be causing this??
all fuses are fine, my bulbs are fine, my tempers nearly gone and my front wing will soon be recieving a crane kick! (watched karate kid last night .. excuse me)

cheers men/women

P

pulsarboby

sounds like youve got a bad earth problem! is there a live feed to lights? if so check small earth connections to bodywork also check main engine to body earth resistance.! or get a jump lead and attach to good earth point on body and good earth to engine then see what occurs.

O

Odin

The best bet would be to let an auto electrician take a look at if for you, I'm a great believer in letting the people that know what their doing fix things like this, It always works out better in the end lol.

Rob

stumo

sounds like the lighting stalk is broken (the bit you turn and push/pull to make the lights work)

25540-62C00 £97.84

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Check the plugs that connect onto the headlight bulb. I've just had the earth on the passenger side one burn out, so had to wire a new earth in to it.

S

S.J

thanks for the help men .. i'll try them over the weekend see what happens.

Mark N - i have recently put a new sterio in, but the lights have worked since then ..

but i have just put an amp in if thats any concelation? ..