headlight problems

S

S.J

Heya Mates,

Not sure of you all remember, but i was having trouble with my headlights a while back, to put it blunt, they didn't work! haha

Lots of different possibilities, but none did the trick.

But i had an idea today, based on an old problem i had, but without the parts anymore i can't test my theory, so i'm hoping one of you lot will know.

You know how if you disconnect your hazard light switch from the front panel, your indicators don't work? well i found that out the hard way after hours of trying to figure out why they weren't working! but obviously when i re-connected my hazard light switch, the indicators worked again, Could the same apply to headlights if your rear numberplate lights are disconnected?

Reason being, when i stripped my car down to give it a full re-spray, i smoothed the boot over cause i think the indented boot plate looks shite, but obviously the rear numberplate lights aren't connected to anything now, but my lights worked fine before i stripped it down to respray, so i was hoping that if i connect some rear number plate lights back up to it, it would fix the headlight problem.

like i said tho, i dont have the lights anymore to test my theory, but anyone know whether this is the case?

cheers men/women

S

S.J

cheers for your quick reply mate,

my actual side lights dont work neither tho?

Jonesy

I would also say no, i had a smoothed over tail gate with no rear lights, and the head lights worked.

S

S.J

hmmm, i'm at a loss then, i haven't a clue whats wrong with them, i've put it into a garage too an they haven't a clue why their not working, typical isle of man!

maybe some more ideas? I'll try an think of everything i can to eliminate possibilities for you more clued up people haha

The bulbs are fine
i doubt its the stem cause all other operations work on the stem
The rear lights work
the fuses etc are fine
no new stereo added, but whilst it was off the road i did hook an amp up to it if that sets anyones alarm bells ringing?

one strange note, when i set up a direct link from my battery to the lights, and put a fuse in the circuit (basically a cheap mans on/off switch under the bonnet) It would work fine unless i switched my fog lights off, if i did this, it would blow the fuse, i dont even have fog lights neither but i assume the previous owner must have hooked some up at some point as their is a green switch near my wing mirror controls, but when my fog light switch was on, the switch wouldn't be lit up UNTIL i put a fuse into the loop from the battery to the headlights.
I haven't a clue how or why this happened as the fog lights aren't even connected to the headlights are they?

But again, this set up was never changed from before i resprayed the car, so i can't see how this would suddenly stop the lights from working.

I can't think of anything else that might be of use to know about

i'll have a think see what else of bodged on it, but any ideas off that lot above would be a mad help

Cheers