Headlight Bulb Upgrade

GTI-R Nath

was just wondering if anyone uses 80-100W bulbs and if there ok to use, was gonna fit HID headlights but since they are a MOT fail now, id rather fit the 80-100w as long as there not gonna melt my wiring lol

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
That should also be an MOT failure as they're not approved for road use; they're not 'E' marked, so I think 60-55W are the highest power you can use. - It's a bit harder to check that obviously, but if they think your lights seem a bit bright they might check them.

I'd try re-earthing your headlights first; it costs a lot less money and you might be surprised the difference it makes to the brightness.

GTI-R Nath

ok cheers ill try re-earthing them see what difference it makes, was just interested to know how much brighter 80-100w bulbs would be, i could always fit the HID and take them off at MOT time if re earthing doesn't make a difference

just looking for a bit more brightness really at night but i don't want to be blinding everyone i drive past

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Something like the Osram "Night Breaker" is a possibility; they claim to be 120% brighter than a standard bulb whilst maintaining the road-legal power.

warpspeed

100w are legal on cars up to the early 90's can't remember what year exactly, my father has just asked our mot tester and he told him they were fine

pulsarmoley

Something like the Osram "Night Breaker" is a possibility; they claim to be 120% brighter than a standard bulb whilst maintaining the road-legal power.
I agree, i run these in my car and i noticed a good improvement, my company fit these in all our vans as well :thumbsup:

warpspeed

do you know how bright the 80-100w bulb would be compared to a 55w HID bulb
the hid is brighter but not very legal, depends what rating you get, i have 8k ones and think they are great but as far as i am aware the higher the rating the worse the light is, i think the higher rated ones are more blue.

Last edited:

wrc

HID kits will now also not pass an MOT unless they have self level adjusting and also headlight washers. I.e. any retro fitted hid kit.

You are much better off just cleaning your earth up and getting some good quality halogen bulbs, and if needs be just wire up a relay with a direct feed from the battery like we do with our fuel pumps - that's how mine are done and I have no complaints.

Mr B

I use 80W100W on all my vehicles including my GTIR. They are a very good cost effective upgrade. Some of the low wattage high spec bulbs are good but high price. Never had an MOT failure with them on GTIR Evo5 or pug206 but you could if MOT inspector is very keen on finding failure points. Standard wiring & relay will handle increase easily although fusing may need to go up 5amps if it was to blow.

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Seconded. I've used 80-100W bulb's in the R and no problems after quite a few years. I went to get some for my everyday car last year but was recommened to try the 120% type. They are also good.

On the bulbs I've been using, the 80-100W give out more general light but the 120% are a marginally better range.

Both are good and have never gicne me any issues at my local MOT station.