Headgasket failure

noriek2003

looks like it would need new liners tbh to re-use that block. Some words from mike kojima (us) on the subject of boring sr20's.

we avoided the expensive task of boring the SR block oversize. The SR20 block suffers from severe bore distortion when the head and transmission are bolted in place. The bore can distort as much as 0.0015 inch, an amount that can really affect ring seal or even contribute to piston scuffing. It's important to use a deck torque plate and bolt a transmission bellhousing to an SR block when it's being bored and honed to keep the bore's roundness accurate. Not too many shops in this country can do this sort of work on an SR,

Fusion Ed

Agree with Kieron. Not seen that happen to sr20 blocks running less than around 500bhp, so its very unusual. I'd probably scrap that block and get another. You can get torque plates made, my engine builder I use can make them if necessary (not particularly cheap tho)

noriek2003

its a plate that replicates the stresses on the block when the head is bolted up correctly so everything is as it will be when installed when you do the re-bore