Headgasket Advice

willgbr

Hey guys just looking for some advice basically this is what the problem is.

"Message from AGRA - Hi, we’ve just checked your compression ratio and it was 8.7:1 which is higher than we like to set it.
We usually set them between 8:1 and 8.5:1. The only way we can lower it (without machining the piston crowns) is to fit a thicker head gasket. I have a 5 layer Cometic in stock that is thick enough to take comp ratio down to 8.3:1. The 5 layer gaskets are better for high boost applications anyway. I can either offer you a straight swap for your existing head gasket or you can buy it from us?"

I have read some things about cometic headgaskets, dont know whether to take it as gospel or not. Looking to hear from some ppl in the know.

Thanks
Will

Fusion Ed

HKS do a thicker one. Use that. This forum has seen far to many coincidence of cometic gaskets failing on pulsars.

willgbr

Yeah, I didnt think the cometic was all that from what I had read, just wanted to be sure. I can only find a hks one with 86.5mm bores and we are running hks 87.5mm pistons not sure if it's useable?
Running a big spec stumo with E85 fuel setup

Fusion Ed

SR20 block will do 600hp if its torque is limited (for a while anyway haha) In fact even a P11 GT Primera block will...

stumo

Yeah, I didnt think the cometic was all that from what I had read, just wanted to be sure. I can only find a hks one with 86.5mm bores and we are running hks 87.5mm pistons not sure if it's useable?
Running a big spec stumo with E85 fuel setup
fairdoos, thought you were a screamerpipe wannabe :lol:

well if you're going to use E85 i guess you can use a higher CR than normal (don't know how it compares to something like C16) but if it was up to me i'd be going for as high a comp ratio i can get.

I'd fit the gasket you already have and see how it goes, it's not too big a job to swap over headgaskets and re-time the cams etc if you find you're getting too much det/knock.

I deffo wouldn't use a Cometic. Either HKS or Cosworth (but you have to modify it)