head gaskets

turbodaily

right ganna need a head gasket, will be running je pistons and around 420bhp 1.6bar.
rumour has it that the stock head gasket is 1.4mm. i dont wanna go stupidly low comp as i want to retain some of boost torque.

so are there any 1.4mm or 1.5mm gaskets available? word on the street is cometic gaskets are no good, so alternatives are there?? so far i seen hks, tomei, apexi, greddy.

oh and are the gaskets made to bore size, ie im running 87mm pistons so do i need a gasket with 87mm bore holes??

thanks

P

pulsarboby

standard hg is 1.2mm once compressed and torqued up.
hks are the best, but no idea where you get them cheap, think your looking around £200 for one

turbodaily

any links mate? and what about the bore size thing, are they all the same or dya have to get one specific to bore size ie 87mm

JAMMA

I'll have a Tomei 1.2mm, 88mm bore head gasket for sale in about a week or so. Ordered one for a friend and they dont need it any more. Yours for £130 delivered. Its brand new, just waiting on it ariving in the post. Also have a set of ARP head studs for sale too, brand new £85 delivered.

ashills

id go with that above mate will be easiest and quickest option the tomei are like the hks style so top quality

turbodaily

thanks for the offer matey but i think im ganna go for the cosworth 1.8mm 87mm found one for $118 + $35 shipping.

when are you expecting the tomei to arrive though mate incase i change my mind?

JAMMA

Its supposed to be sent out this week then its about a 5 day delivery time as its coming from Japan.

soin

ive been looking at the tomei as well .. whats the deal with running 87mm bores /pistons and an 88mm gasket .. is this fine or are you better getting a 87mm gasket ?
why would tomei make an 88 mm gasket when most piston kits for the gtir including their own piston kits are 87mm bore ?

JAMMA

Tomei do 87.5mm pistons for the GTi-R as well ;-) , so im guessing its just for clearance.

Last edited:

Fusion Ed

Headgasket is supposed to be larger than the bores. and NEVER smaller. Most for example are cut to be 1mm larger than the bore size.

G

gtiral

try NENGUN.COM they are quite cheap just a bit of time on delivery cos its directly from Japan