Head Gasket - Need you experience

Jon Olds

Rally car head gasket has gone. The cooling system is pressurised. Stripped and removed the head.
Looks like the fire ring has not held on cyls 2/3, and there are witness marks of gas flow to the 5mm cooling holes 10 mm away from the ring.
Was an OE head gasket (I know, I'm a cheapskate).
ARP bolts/nuts fitted. (surely an improvement, if torqued right?)
I have ordered a MLS gasket for 40-50 quid, but would like your experience on whether this will hold.
Mixture looks spot on.
Everything looks (pistons/valves/combustion chambers) looks fine.
Runs a bar and 280hp.

Help appreciated.

Was trying to avoid £150+ gaskets, for obvious reasons.

stumo

Standard (Nissan) headgaskets should hold that no probs, was the head/block checked for flatness last time?

MLS gaskets needs blemish free and flatter surfaces to work, make sure you torque it down in the correct sequence....

Jonesy

As above you shouldn't have any probs running 1.0 bar boost on standard head gasket, been running 1.2 bar for a while without any probs.

Jon Olds

Are there any diy type ways of checking for flatness? I don't want to take the motor out. This is not an area
I have any experience of, as all my previous cars have been non turboed.
What will a machine shop do when I give him my head. I'm assuming he will use a surface plate and chock the head upside down at a known height then measure the head gasket face back to the surface plate, over the whole head. Is this right?? I'm an elec man not a clanky.
Clarification would be nice. Experience of a company in the NE area would be nicer still

stumo

you can use a straight edge and a feeler guage to check for flatness (my straight edge cost £70 :roll:),

a rule usually isn't flat enough or stiff enough to work properly

Jon Olds

I have engineering steel rules, in good nick. If I buy a straight edge specifically, what do I ask for in the tool shop? (usually Cromwells and I do not expect any expertise behind the counter)

stumo

just ask for a straight edge, they're like a steel rule but much thicker, get one longer than the head....

there's different standards of straight edge, the cheapest will still be more than adequate (i needed one that had a certificate so it was more expensive).