Have changed exhaust manifold from aftermarket to standard and car wonte run

GTi-RLee

hi guys.

hope somebody can give me the right infomation on this one as costing me a bomb and still not getting anywhere.
Basically my japspeed exhaust manifold was cracked. i replaced with a standard cast gtir manifold. i ported and cleaned out the standard manifold best i could. i port matched to the head only taking off less than a 1mm all round. all ports were bunged up to prevent dirt going in any oil pipes or into the head.I rebuilt it all back together turbo and manifold and put the radiator back in plugged everything back up and then it woundnt run. had to keep revs on to keep going and was spluttering and puffing out lots of black smoke and smells of fuel really bad. i have changed the plugs. new dizzy and arm. and then tried. same again wouldnt run without revs and sounds like only running on 2 cylinders. 1 and 4 the plugs arnt to bad but 2 and 3 the plugs are blacker than black even after running for a matter of seconds.i then un pluged the airflow meter and cleaned plugs ect and it started and ran ok. i pluged afm back in and it got alot worse. after speaking to pulsar bob gtir us i did a code check and was 1 small pause and 2 quick pauses. which he said was afm. i have bought afm and fitted it. still no joy same again black smoke, black plugs,stinks of fuel poping in exhaust and wonte idle at all. did code check again and is still saying its the afm. have checked all the wiring to the afm and theres no problems. i have taken the lambda sensor out and that doesnt help.even now if i unplug the afm i cant get it to run like i did once befor. very very strange. my oil is now starting to stink of fuel so getting worried. please please please what can it be ?????????????

Gaz gtiR

i know it sounds daft but are h/t leads on rite way round??

i had my airflow meter go on mine doing the same thing. popping & banging, black smoke, sounding like its running on 2 cylinders! its coz the engine will be flooded. take all plugs out & turn engine over to blow exess fuel out! then put plugs & leads back in and start. mine still wouldnt run rite for about 10 mins after i did this but then cleared after idling for a while after the unburned fuel had cleared!!

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Also, it may sound daft but did you definitely take the wadding back out of you exhaust ports? Did you put any in the turbo or the manifold to stop cack going that way?

P

pulsarboby

mmmmm! first of all as pobody said above

if it still doesnt work with the new afm then theres either a prob with the loom or the injection circuit in ecu possibly.
locate the earth wire to afm and splice into earth and run a seperate wire to good earth point on the body as may have a bad earth, also check the earth connections to the plenum.
when you removed the manifold did you disconnect the battery first? im asking this as the manifold may have arced out on alternator live which could possibly have caused a spike in the ecu

Last edited by a moderator: