Handling Again

G

gav

I really need my GTIR to handle better but dont want to have to shell out for bits twice.
I have Nismo shocks with unknown lowering springs. 15" alloys with new toyo proxis R all round and a GAB front strut brace. Do i need to buy the full whilteline handling kit or just a antilift kit. I dont want to spend £ on having the 4 wheel alignment done to then have it done againg with the kit on. Any help a real bonus. :)

O

osmium

what specifically are you wanting? reducing understeer? oversteer? corner harder all round (as in you have decent balance already)

Keira

do the handling kit, do the bump steer mod, do the lower brace, do front and rear strut braces get it all set up once and for all and be happy with it :wink:

anything less than the lot is a half measure, theres far more you could add to that list but thats the easy to do stuff,

G

gav

I have 195/50/15 tyres. I just want to be able to go round corners fast without having to control the drift everytime. Is every1 on here mainly using the whiteline gear. :?:

K

kizzyturbo4x4

ok, i get it.
and it works out as expected?
i have the whitline handling kit on the way, but i guess i should get hold of this kit also? :wink:

G

GAZ P

Who does the best anti roll bar kit for the R, Whiteline or Cusco :?: Are there any others :?: Just about to sort the handling over Christmas so my R goes around corners :roll: Anti lift kit & bumpsteer kit are they any good :?: Bumpsteer kit seems expensive for Two sperical rod ends & a couple of nuts and bolts :? Used to buy Aurora track rod ends for about £25 for my stock car and they look just the same :roll: :? :roll:

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
gav said:
I have 195/50/15 tyres. I just want to be able to go round corners fast without having to control the drift everytime. Is every1 on here mainly using the whiteline gear. :?:
BTW. is that front or rear drift?
If you're drifting round every corner its one of the following:

1. You are a god of driving and there is nothing wrong with your car.
Solution: take up professional rallying

2. You are an average driver applying too much power mid bend for your tyres.
Solution: Faster in, trail brake into the corner, power only on exit

3. Tyre problems... pressures, age, width
Solutions:
Have you checked your tyre pressures, might be too low, try running 30 or 35psi and see which you prefer.
Toyos are a good brand but you only have 195's, fine if you drive precisley but are easier to break away with power over/understeer. Consider 16" 205 or 215 for more outright grip.

4. Geometry could be out
Solution: get it checked, the car could be running positive camber

5. If it mainly happens in the wet...
Solution: Your car could be too stiff, points 2, 3 and 4 will be much worse in the wet. How low/stiff is it?

6. Somethings broken
Solution: If you've got old worn ball joints or bushes, the wheel is not in tight control and no amount of bumpsteer kits and strut braces will help.

Cheers, Jim

G

gav

So it looks like i need to spend a around 400 quid then at a guestimate.
When i said it drifts i mean 4 wheel drift. The whole car can be drifted and controled but this is loosing me time on the track. Thanks for all the replys guys. Been a great help. :)

Jon Olds

Cambellj has nailed it. Listen to a complicated diagnosis. I'm still confused by 'handling' after 30 years..