Gtir vs Scooby sti type RA

Jul

Have any of you guys raced one of these mental cars :twisted: Went in one the other day and of the line it was awesome :!: Much like Gtir reckon it would be a good race,I know what scoobys are like used 2 have 1 and been in most types but never in this monster :shock:

pete-r

im sure one of the cars at the pts meet was a type ra making about 450bhp.sounded like a right monster 8) .never had a chance to race one though.isnt the spec c the daddy subaru?or is it the type ra?

Jul

Apparently the sti ra has a shorter close ratio gear box and the torque ratio is 66/33,It has gr8 low down power but when it comes 2 top speed you have to rev the b***oks off it(classic shape)but this can be over come by modified the 5th gear.

J

jiw

Yeah thats the one, 5 door with a roof vent, my mate has a type R thats a 3 door with electonic adjustable diff's, they hold their money well both model's, jeff

Jul

How fast do you rate ur m8s type r then m8 :?: I thought it was a bit mental of the lights :lol:

J

jiw

Hard to judge really, its had a set of forged pistons as he threw a rod the first day he got it, has a few more mod's too, apparently the company who carried out the work on it (castle peformance) said it should be around 340-350bhp, problem is the clutch has packed in :cry:

A

alextreme

gtir vs ra

my mate has the type ra his has a few simple mods induction kit exhust etc its pushing around 311bhp and my gtir is around 280 and his is quicker does beat me most of the time :( dame scoobys but have a revenge plan inmind :twisted:

L

leeboy

Ive been in a sti type 4 and that was quick, but he shagged the engine soon after

Fire & skill

Vintage member
ki_saj_ng said:
so are scoobies not all that reliable?

thought they were good :?

oh no it, EVO all the way :wink:
last i heard scoobys were the fastest thing on the road, my mates knows a standard wrx that blew a mclaren f1 off the road at 468mph and he was still in third gear. man i wish i'd bought one of those. whats more, the sti's are supposed to be even quicker :shock: :shock: scary cars, best to stick with the R as i dont think i could handle all that power

ki_saj_ng

last i heard scoobys were the fastest thing on the road, my mates knows a standard wrx that blew a mclaren f1 off the road at 468mph and he was still in third gear. man i wish i'd bought one of those. whats more, the sti's are supposed to be even quicker scary cars, best to stick with the R as i dont think i could handle all that power
486mph - thats either a typo or thats the worlds fastest car and its a standard wrx :roll:

and that was against a mclaren f1, thats the car that cost £634,000 and i think thats for a reason.

:?

M

mozza

LMAO!!! :lol: :lol:

to clear a couple of things up, the STI RA is a 4 door version of the 2 door coupe (Type R), but then you have RA V ltd's which have roof vents, and a longer ratio 5th gear (good for motorways journeys)

The type Rs have very short boxes - even shorter than a jap spec WRX STI model, so 4000 rpm at 80 and 5th gear usually needed for a 1/4 mile sprint.

They have diff controls, lighter body panels and a few other bits and bobs, although the actual engines are the same as the STI. V5-6 STI - 300ps (294hp)

Mate has one, with just full exhaust and downpipe and filter, it has done a 12.6 @106 at pod which is quite good going for a 305hp car.

The type R's/RAs are probably a good comparison between scoobies and GTI-R's.

Only down side to the jap import ones, cuz they are fairly highly tuned already and rely on that useless oil pump and 100 ron fuel, alot seem to go bang, unless they are remapped and have uprated oil pumps or are run on octane booster.

Fire & skill

Vintage member
ki_saj_ng said:
last i heard scoobys were the fastest thing on the road, my mates knows a standard wrx that blew a mclaren f1 off the road at 468mph and he was still in third gear. man i wish i'd bought one of those. whats more, the sti's are supposed to be even quicker scary cars, best to stick with the R as i dont think i could handle all that power
486mph - thats either a typo or thats the worlds fastest car and its a standard wrx :roll:

and that was against a mclaren f1, thats the car that cost £634,000 and i think thats for a reason.

:?

mate! i was being sarcastic!!! :lol:

R

ryan_george

My mate has an RA, the lightweight scooby with the close ratio diffs, no roof vent and running everything standard apart from the HKS Hyper Muffler exhaust, Dump Valve and Filter.
Run it up Santa pod the other day, run a 13.77 @ 99 mph.
This is standard boost and about 280 ish bhp.
When I got my 'R he has now decided to sell his Scoob and buy an 'R himself, mine is running 301bhp and 303lb/ft.
So to just about sum up the comparison, 'R's rule in Sittingbourne, Kent.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
ryan_george said:
Run it up Santa pod the other day, run a 13.77 @ 99 mph.
This is standard boost and about 280 ish bhp.
The RA can't be that light then, or your mate can't drive as that's slow :?