Gtir running issues

Ross McMahon

recently got myself a project pulsar gtir ,

Finally got all the hard bits done and it fired right up but idles rough as hell , Took it for a test drive and when I put my foot down it theres a little bit of black smoke ? And doesn't move it just stutters until you take your foot off the accelerator and i couldn't get above 40mph

Help :(

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Sounds like it might be in limp mode. - Have you done a fault code test?

Is it definitely black (rich, sooty) rather than blue (oily)? This time of year it's unlikely to be white (steam), but that sometimes worried people in the colder months and tends to just be the result of a large bore exhaust rather than any particular problem.

My guess would be a faulty DET sensor, but that's apropos of nothing in particular. - It could be a boost leak, or a faulty MAF; the fault code might help you look in the right area.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Air leak somewhere? Vacuum piping incorrectly routed? Leaking dump valve? Faulty injectors? Is the cam timing right if it's idling rough?

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Good point! - If the idle is rough, then it's probably a leak somewhere...
Throttle position sensor incorrectly set so the ECU doesn't go into a closed-loop idle using the lambda sensor? - That might also be telling the ECU it's a WOT when it's not.

Ross McMahon

I'm back to work tomorrow so I'll check when I get home , when I got the car the vacuum pipes were all over the place so I can 100% garuentee I have them hooked up wrong is there a diagram on here as there is an adjustable boost controller under the bonnet there is hoses routed everywhere , I'll check all pipe work before I go to work

Cheers lads

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Yeah, it's really easy to have one that's not quite sealing on a nipple or only leaks under certain circumstances. - I had a problem with the idle that was down to the dump valve getting pulled open under vacuum, so it would let unmetered air in to the inlet manifold; took a while to find that.

Ross McMahon

So do you think I should just disconnect the boost gauge and boost controller and just run minimum vacuum lines and try from there ?

johnny gtir

Smoking as much as you say would be mad or a major boost least of Intercooler pipe or something. Little vac pipes unless totally mixed up would not cause this I would say anyway. Take a video of it at idle

Ross McMahon

I'm off to work I'll have to get a video uploaded when I get back , found one of the Samco hoses was split today before I left , thanks fast guy for the link that will make my life easier once I get back to it