GTi-R Thermostat

P

Pete

go into ur nearst car spares shop and they will tell u dude just ask if they r the same i could do it but am not in work now

Matt Evans

I've already bought a stat from my local car spares, but it looks a little different. The old stat has a rubber seal on the inside of it but the new one hasn't, plus the old stat seems to have stiffer springs than the new one. Does this make any differnce?

p.s. The temp spec on both stats are the same.

Dooie Pop Pop

Matt Evans said:
I've already bought a stat from my local car spares, but it looks a little different. The old stat has a rubber seal on the inside of it but the new one hasn't, plus the old stat seems to have stiffer springs than the new one. Does this make any differnce?

p.s. The temp spec on both stats are the same.
dont remember a rubber seal on mine when i changed it mate :? just sealant.

stu

Matt Evans

O.k. The actual diameter of the component itself is the same as the old one, but the diameter of the valve inside the housing is smaller than the one I took off. Plus, as I mentioned before, the springs on the new thermonstat are softer than the one I took off. Can somebody please let me know if its o.k. to use it? I'm worried that with the softer springs and smaller valve, it might open at the wrong time or not let enough water flow through or something like that. :?

Dooie Pop Pop

Matt Evans said:
O.k. The actual diameter of the component itself is the same as the old one, but the diameter of the valve inside the housing is smaller than the one I took off. Plus, as I mentioned before, the springs on the new thermonstat are softer than the one I took off. Can somebody please let me know if its o.k. to use it? I'm worried that with the softer springs and smaller valve, it might open at the wrong time or not let enough water flow through or something like that. :?
what was wrong with the old one?

Matt Evans

I've been having some coolant problems, water being pumped back into expansion bottle etc. I bought a new Rad cap and just though I'd check out the stat to be on the safe side. When I checked it, the valve, the sprung part had a rubber seal to seal it shut, but it was perished and half missing, so I just thought I'd get a new one.