GT 3071 Problem!

RO_SUNNY

Hi.

Yesterday when I started the final mounting of the turbo I think I over torqued some bolts.

The bolts are from the turbo housing and when tightened them and give the turbo a spin , by hand, it felt like it's not turning the way it should.
Then i have loosen them abit and the turbo spinned freely.....

Theese bolts have to be tightened at a certain torque or something?

And also the bearings are making a strange noise.
Please note that the turbo had been oild by hand but never been runned.
Please advice !!

punkcav

the bolt are not to be too tight, i don't know the torque but it is low, the shaft will have some play in it and will feel gritty when you spin,
once the blades are not touching the housings you will fine

RO_SUNNY

Thank you very much for the info.............yes it is feeling gritty (like it's having some sand on the bearings)....
It is spininning freely though....if I am blowing air with my mouth in it it's turning 4 turns so i think it is free of any touching.

Should it feel gritty when it's not oiled??

punkcav

it always has a kinda rough feeling to it even after use, if you spin it by hand and it spin freely then you are good to go

shroom

I was told of for messing with them, could have been the cause of my 3071 destroying itself. remember that when spinning by hand it may be fine but when its spinning around at serious speeds it may be different, I didnt get any settings but told that they do need to be set properly