got a bit stuck - drive shafts

mikeyp

taking my engine and box out and the only thing left on is the drive shafts. i can't seem to make the gearbox go into a gear to stop the front wheels turning so i can't undo the hub nuts :doh:
so far the hubs are still on the shocks and steering arm so that they don't flap about while i'm trying to remove the hub nut.

any tips would be great as this is the last thing stopping me getting my engine out.

cheers

Trondelond

Have someone stand on the brake for you, or put a screwdriver or similar item into one of the brake-disc slots so it stops against the caliper?

P

pulsarboby

haha if you havent got an airgun you should always loosen those before you lift the car off the deck, lesson learned lol

ok few ways to do it
1) get a breaker bar and a big fook off hammer and hit the bar untill the nut loosens
2) drop car back on ground untill tyres are hitting the tarmac then undo them
3) remove the wheel and wedge a bar between the wheel nut studs or caliper so it hits on the ground and locks the wheel

mikeyp

i removed the abs pump so the brakes won't work :doh:

my bloody jack isn't working properly so it won't go back up to the height i have the axle stands at. could only get them to the 1st hole anyway. might have to find some wood from somewhere and do that anyway. not got any wood laying around here. then put the wheels back on and do it on the ground.

sticking something in the brake disc to jam on the caliper might work.

not sure i have a bar long enough to wedge the studs to the ground, other than the braker bar that i'm going to need to use to undo the nuts :doh:

damn wish i had undone them on day 1 before i had lifted the car.. best see if i can wedge the brake disc aginst the caliper with something.
thanks for the tips guys!

mikeyp

ok i tried the screwdriver in the disc option and it worked a treat. got both of them of with no drams at all, infact the split pins on the steering arms were harder to get off than the hub nuts once i stopped the disc moving.

thanks for the help, all sorted now.