Gizzmo EBC - Any use???

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I don't see why it wouldn't; there's not much to boost controllers when you get down to it. It will certainly do a better job than a 15 year-old HKS EVC, and it should build boost better than a bleed valve (because it shows the wastegate actuator no boost until it's time to open).

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
I have an Ebay manual one been running that over a year with no issues holds 1.1bar very well

Is that a Dawes type device or a bleed valve? Lots wrong with bleed valves but Dawes devices are better than some electronic controllers.

stumo

I wouldn't use a bleed valve but dawes ones are fine.

If i just wanted to have one boost setting i wouldn't use anything else......

dotalot

Ok so I got the unit and fitted it, its really small so easy to tuck in anywhere. I just cut the coin holder in two and slotted it in there, fitted like a glove.
Screen is a tad bright, prob too bright for night driving, but nothing a tiny bit of window tint wont cure.

The only thing about it which im not sure if its normal, is that you need to run a hose to the unit itself for it to measure boost.
Having never fitted an ebc before I just assumed it would have an external sensor, what way do most boost controllers work???

Seems simple enough to set-up, there are settings for Duty cycle and Gain, and there are four switchable memorys.
Havent had time to set it up thoroughly, but seems to do the job ok. Seems to spike a bit just like the bleed valve I had previously but hopefully messing about with the gain will sort that.
How much of a spike is normal???

darkyGTI-R

That looks quality mate nice one,my manual one spikes a little but I don't think it's anything to worry about,I just keep an eye on the boost gauge!

dotalot

Had another fiddle with it tonight. Turning up the gain really affects it. I put it on its lowest boost setting and turned the gain up and it was like lifting my foot on and off the throttle. The boost went up and down repeatedly.
Turned the gain down and got it set up so that it spikes to 1.1 and holds at a bar.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Yeah, usually you have a separate solenoid/motor which has the boost sensor in it (so the wiring is the only thing that needs to go to the controller). Maybe that's why this is cheaper than an EVC (as an example)?

If you've got one for an after-market boost gauge anyway it shouldn't be a problem.

dotalot

No its no problem running the pipe, but just thinking it may affect the reaction time, because thats a length of pipe running the whole way from the FPR to the steering column area. Will do for mean time anyway.