Getting the oil feed back on.

Trondelond

Gentlemen; I've had the turbo off and fitted the AM Performance elbow, but as per usual, I'm having a hard time getting the oil feed situated. The pipe lines up with the hole, but the fitting just won't screw in. Are there any clever tips for making this job easier?

gtirjoey

buy a braided one makes the job a whole lot easier! if not though mate you jus have to make sure the pipe is at correct angle.. be sure to start the bolt by hand on a good few threads, as these bolts are very easy to cross thread and you dont really want to mess up the thread in the block!

Trondelond

It's definately on the list for the "when I get a bigger turbo"-event at least. It just won't go in. Will just have to fiddle with it until it does, I suppose.

MORF114

the oil feed on the turbo is a bitch if you use the std lines i have braided and they were even worse!! they were way too stiff and would not line up i had to put the lines in first before i bolted the turbo in place, it was awesome fun.

P

pulsarboby

try threading the bolt in the block first to make sure theres nothing obstructing the thread.
the threads are quite fine so they have to be on to go in or you will cross thread as joey said.

its one of those jobs where if it dont go on in ten minutes then walk away, have a cup of tea and then go back and have another go.
it will go in eventually, sometimes first time, other times you can be messing about for ages before they go in.
just be patient and dont lose your rag with it;-)

Trondelond

pulsarboby said:
its one of those jobs where if it dont go on in ten minutes then walk away, have a cup of tea and then go back and have another go.
it will go in eventually, sometimes first time, other times you can be messing about for ages before they go in.
just be patient and dont lose your rag with it;-)
That's the method I have been using, I was just wondering if there was a way to do it like a Pro. It seems that it _is_ the way of the pro. :p
Thanks! :)

P

pulsarboby

yeah theres no easy way unfortunately, i hate doing them as ive not a lot of patience so i let my 2ic do them:lol: :lol:

Trondelond

pulsarboby said:
yeah theres no easy way unfortunately, i hate doing them as ive not a lot of patience so i let my 2ic do them:lol: :lol:
I'm REALLY looking forward to taking it all off again in a few months for a rebuild and turbo upgrade. :doh: Even the water return was a nightmare now with the AM performance elbow.
My next car will be a 240Z with a 1.0 litre toyota starlet engine. I want ROOM!

Animaldaz

I fitted my AM elbow with the turbo on and the engine still insitu. Bit fiddly but do-able, cuttind down a spanner is the way to do it, and also have the rad etc out.
Have you still got the A/C fitted?

Trondelond

steve963 said:
I fitted the elbow with the turbo on, I just took the engine out!!
That sounds like a timesaver. :-D

Animaldaz said:
I fitted my AM elbow with the turbo on and the engine still insitu. Bit fiddly but do-able, cuttind down a spanner is the way to do it, and also have the rad etc out.
Have you still got the A/C fitted?
Yep, had to cut and bend a spanner to get the water line in place.
No A/C on my car, no.

I doubt I'd be able to fit the elbow without taking off the turbo. For some reason, there's a stabilizer bar in the front of the car that seems to be located higher than "normal". This also made fitting a Forge FMIC a bit of a hassle.

smoked

i bought mine from am and fitted it with the engine and turbo in, just had to dremmel cut one of the studs down (front lower i think) as it fouled on the elbow.

if i can help it i try not to take as many bolts off as i can on the pulsar as i am the cross thread masterif i have to remove them then i am so carefull. if theres a bolt i can cross thread it

Last edited:

Trondelond

gtirjoey said:
just out of interset were did you get your am elbow from and how much?
Bought the elbow and downpipe directly from AM performance during a GB, and I got it for 515 AUD.