Gearbox

chrisniss91

Took my R to my local garage today to check out the brakes and saw that there was 5hit loads of oil pi55ing out of teh gearbox :cry: I had it rebuilt a year ago so warranty is up cry:: By a week.
Could i have a case though as i took it back earlier in the year about the leaking and they said it was fine but i knew something was wrong. :x

What will it need to be resealed :?: :cry:

chrisniss91

To be honest i'm not really all that sure :oops: they got me to stand under the car and just wiped theer hands all over and said it's pi55ing gearbox oil :cry:

kyepan

that sounds exactly the same as mine... undiagnosed as yet.

The box is coming out with the engine today to see exactly where the oil is coming from.. its not the breathers on mine so it must be the box itself..

to eliminat the breathers as the possible source (sign of transfer box oil seal going) put a couple of catch tanks (plastic milk bottles) on the breathers (gearbox and transfer box) and drive about for a day to see if it is coming out of them..

if its not the breathers it may be the seal where they broke the box in half to take it out without taking the engine out..aparently its a mare to get the two faces of the box lined up and sealed together correctly when you do clutch or gearbox work with the engine in situ..

if any of this is bull shit, please say so, as it is only what i have herd.. cheers

A

Anonymous

Crap, i would take it back to the place where it was done and tell them you got a second opinion and even though the warranty has ran out, you took it to them whilst the warranty was still on with the same problem and they just told you to go away.

kyepan said:
if its not the breathers it may be the seal where they broke the box in half to take it out without taking the engine out..aparently its a mare to get the two faces of the box lined up and sealed together correctly when you do clutch or gearbox work with the engine in situ..
I have taken the gearbox out with the engine still in the car, and there are no seals you need to take off in the gearbox itself. If someone actually pulls the box apart whilst still on the car to drop it, then they're wasting alot of time. Its tricky and fiddley but do-able.

Gino

J

J-GTi-R

Sounds like the problem I had as well, the seals are between the transfer case and gearbox. They can be damaged slightly when the transfer case and 'box are pulled apart or put together. Sounds like the gearbox rebuilder may have damaged them while doing the gearbox work, in which case you have a fair claim on a warranty job.

A

andy n

check your breather isnt blocked, mine did this and it pissed out of the box, unblocked the breather and not a drop since.