Gearbox problem

turugtir

Hi guys

Mi car has a problem with the gearbox (not common in this cars as I read
)

I have an RB gearbox and 5th gets popping out all the time, It's getting to the point that's is impossible to put 5th gear, and people told me that synchro in 5th is seeming to break.

The problem is: I have an RB gearbox and I bought a standard gearbox that works fine. I don't want to loose the short ratio gearbox as this car is not going to be in highway more that 5 minutes.

The thing is that looking at the gearbox ratios:

1st ----- 3.285-------RB: 3.067
2nd ----- 1.850------RB: 2.095
3rd ----- 1.272-------RB: 1.653
4th ----- 0.954-------RB: 1.272
5th ----- 0.740-------RB: 0.911
Reverse - 3.266 -----RB: 3.153

The 5th in the RB gearbox is like 4th in the standard one (126 mph in 4th gear in the standard one and 128 mph in 5th in the RB gbox) and I was thinking that maybe gears could be interchangeable?

I don't really know a lot about gearboxes so maybe I am asking a stupid question and it's impossible to do that, but I would like to know if it's possible and, if not, how much would cost a complete 5th gear from Nissan there in UK (as here in Spain they seem to inflate the prices quite a little bit)

Cheers

Jaime

red reading

turugtir's worn gearbox woe's

aaaaa
Hi guys

Mi car has a problem with the gearbox (not common in this cars as I read
)

I have an RB gearbox and 5th gets popping out all the time, It's getting to the point that's is impossible to put 5th gear, and people told me that synchro in 5th is seeming to break.

The problem is: I have an RB gearbox and I bought a standard gearbox that works fine. I don't want to loose the short ratio gearbox as this car is not going to be in highway more that 5 minutes.

The thing is that looking at the gearbox ratios:

1st ----- 3.285-------RB: 3.067
2nd ----- 1.850------RB: 2.095
3rd ----- 1.272-------RB: 1.653
4th ----- 0.954-------RB: 1.272
5th ----- 0.740-------RB: 0.911
Reverse - 3.266 -----RB: 3.153

The 5th in the RB gearbox is like 4th in the standard one (126 mph in 4th gear in the standard one and 128 mph in 5th in the RB gbox) and I was thinking that maybe gears could be interchangeable? There not interchangeable,But you could fit a Ra 5th gear for better motor way cruising.

I don't really know a lot about gearboxes so maybe I am asking a stupid question and it's impossible to do that, but I would like to know if it's possible and, if not, how much would cost a complete 5th gear from Nissan there in UK (as here in Spain they seem to inflate the prices quite a little bit) if your going to order parts you are best to strip the gearbox (or take it to a man who know's what they are looking at) assess what it worn and refurbish the whole lot.

Cheers

Jaime

turugtir

Thanks for the reply

I supposed that could not be possible, and I see it's not :(

Also thought about putting the 5th gear out of the RA box but the thing is that for motorway cruising it would be ok, but in the other end, if I'm doing some spirited driving and I have to put 5th gear, the engine will die and will struggle to get to the top speed. Not really sure about that although I wish I could get the best of the 2 boxes, but that it's impossible. I saw someone on the forum posted a comparison of the 2 gearboxes with ratios, top speed at each gear at rev cut, rpm drops when changing to the next gear, etc. Someone knows where it is? As I searched a lot and didn't find it.

I was quoted a price of 310 € (280 pounds) for the 5th gear and the syncho, wich is a little steep as I will have (maybe is not neccesary but I will do it anyways as I want to be in the safe side) to replace bearings, gaskets, etc. to make the gbox like new, and that will cost me an excess of 400 pounds for sure, because if I open the box I'm sure some other bits will need changing, and I hope is not any other gear as they are quite expensive. How much do they charge in the UK for those 2 bits?

Cheers