Gearbox Problem!!!!!

Shaun

:D Hi guy's,a friend of mine has a very worrying noise coming from his gearbox :!: :cry: Right,its a 'H'reg,67000 on the clock,running 1bar on a bleed valve,air filter,exhaust etc.etc.etc :!: :!: We think :!: its a standard clutch,but are not sure :!: Anyway as he engages 1st gear he gets a loud sort of bolt in a can noise(but only now and then not all the while)and also in reverse :!: Once he has pulled off it drives ok :? :!: He has also noticed that sometimes when high revving it is difficult to change gear,but again only now and then :!: :!: Would be greatful of your insight :!: :D

kyepan

if it has a standard clutch and is running 1.0 bar.. it will eventually chew the clutch.. but your not sure what clutch is in there. when my clutch was on the way out, it made shifting difficult, most just slip.

sometimes changing the transmission oil can sort out dodgy noises when shifting.. some people reccomend redline mt90 gear oil as it's pretty good.

beyond that, one of the more techy people on here may be able to help diagnose the noise (like a nut in a can).. start asking questions about synchro on first, selector forks, and that kind of thing and see where it gets you.

sorry i can't be any more help mate. i know its worrying to have un diagnosed gearbox issues. and your thinking, how big is the bill going to be?????? erk :cry: somone one will point you in the right direction

A

Anonymous

I would drain the fulid, and see if anything drops out with it, as it sounds like something is loose in there.

E

Evil_GtiR

Mine does crunches in first gear, but only at steep inclined roads. This is weird. I still don't know if its the gear box or clutch

Shaun

:D Cheers guy's i'll let him know :!: I thought it might be the springs in the clutch plate as i know if you put too much strain on certain clutches they tend to buckle and the springs become loose :!: But not 100% sure :!: Anyone else any ideas :?:

kyepan

Shaun said:
:D Cheers guy's i'll let him know :!: I thought it might be the springs in the clutch plate as i know if you put too much strain on certain clutches they tend to buckle and the springs become loose :!: But not 100% sure :!: Anyone else any ideas :?:
that's exatly how my clutch failed.. springs got loose, and it dragged real bad, made shifting real hard when it got warm