Gearbox input shaft bearing

fil_gtir

I have started getting a rotating knock at low revs in my gearbox and from reading other posts am beginning to think input shaft bearing as it is in all gears at low revs, rather than a continual rising sound.

Does anyone know how much this will cost to repair and who could possibly do it, i live in the Midlands.

Thanks

Phil

T

Toady

if its the input shaft bearings then it would make a rattle on idle in neutral too as the input shaft is always turning. :)

fil_gtir

Toady

It does make a rattling noise in neutral, which disappears when clutch is depressed. Sometimes when clutch is released the noise disapears, but most times i can hear the mechanical rotating noise.

Looks like it is the input shaft bearing then, could be worse i guess. I have had the car for 4.5 years and this is my first mechanical problem.

Any idea on price of the bearing, can it be done in situ or best off taking the box out.

Thanks

Phil

T

Toady

yep, deff sounds like the input shaft bearings then. fraid its an eng/box out job, and the box needs stripping down to replace the bearings. bearings themselves i think cost no more than £40, but dont quote me on that! :wink:
where abouts ru from? it mite be worth giving mike (ex-gtir) a pm as he does this as a homer all the time! infact,he did mine! he's a top bloke and has prob worked on at least 25% of the members cars! :lol: