gearbox breather pipe

Gaz gtiR

hey guys
ive just changed the gearbox oil on the R & noticed a patch of oil on my drive. ive got underneith & noticed its dripping from where the bell housing meets the gearbox? ive done a search & read that if i may of over filled it it can leak out of the breather pipe & drip from from where where the bell housing meets the gearbox. i didnt ever notice this leak before i changed the oil?? so iwant to check the breather before i get a panic on about the engine & gearbox coming out! :roll:

this mite sound silly but where dous the breather pipe end? so i can check if it is dripping?? & can i check this from the top of the car as im struggling to get underneith.
cheers
Gaz

shroom

think its just on the top of the gearbox as you look down on it from the engine bay, its just a small L shape pipe pointing towards the engine that sometimes has some hose on it leading off somewere,

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
My breather pipe is hooked over the fuel lines so it ends above the near-side drive shaft. The one for the transfer case it hooked over the vacuum lines on the back of the plenum.

Are you sure it's not just dribbling from when you filled it? The fill point it right on the front of the gearbox near the mounting point, so you'd expect it to dribble back down to a point between the bellhouse and the gearbox.

Gaz gtiR

im going to start it tomorrow & let it idle as its ran out of mot so cant drive it. but ill keep my eye on the breather. its clean where the filler plug is. i had a quick look earlyer & the end of the breather pipe is wet so ill keep my eye on it.

Gaz gtiR

found the problem. it was the breather leaking obviusly over filled the box so im going to tie a little botte somehow & let the breather pipe drain untill cleared... thank god for that i was nearly having a panic about having to take the engine out. lol

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
How did you manage to over-fill it; was it because the front was jacked-up so the gearbox wasn't level?

Gaz gtiR

well as it can be a b***ard to fill the box up i had the car over a pit & used an oil pump from underneith to get the oil in. & its overfilled it & started to poor out & put the filler screw back in as it was poring out & didnt let it settle to bottom of filler hole... :roll: or shud i say my mate did :der: as i was making a battery clamp. :lol: if u want somthing doing do it yourself as the saying goes. :doh: