Gear change..

A

Anonymous

Hi guys..

Just wanted to ask...lets say moving along in 3rd gear...have to drop down for whatever reason...i blip the throttle to spin the turbo up....goto 2nd.

go to about 6000RPM...now when i go into 3rd it crunches unless i take a but longer at the gear change...is that the hydraulic clutch not being as fast as a cable?

I have no problems going up the gears...this only happens if i change down into 2nd then to 3rd...

If i take a bit longer at the change it doesnt happen...and yes i know its the way im driving...just wanted to advice really and to know if thats what the prob is..

Thanks

Chris

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
It sounds like your 3rd gear syncromesh having trouble keeping up. It might be worth checking your gearbox oil level is ok, but as it's only 3rd, I'd say it's the syncromesh. You don't realy need to blip the throttle, at least I don't, I just put it in gear and plant my right foot. If you want to blip the throttle, try less revs and see if it makes a difference. (my 5th gear crunches if I go from 2nd to 5th, so I don't do it. :wink: )

A

Anonymous

Gears

I had a similar problem mate, until one day i forced it in, it went in to third but the car carried on revving, i carried on driving until i only had 5th and reverse, apparently id stripped third gear completley which in turn caused the loss of other gears, it cost me approx £1000 to get it sorted, which did include complete recon of the box, but just a bit of advice either take it easy (fat chance) or get it sorted before anything happens, just my bit of advice, might not be the same problem but sounds very similar

A

Anonymous

that sounds about right...a friend of mine who is part mechanic said its prolly the synchro not keeping up...as i said if i change from 2nd to 3rd a bit slower than normal it pops in just fine..

its due for its 3000 mile oil change now anyway...so ill get all the oils changed as a matter of caution..

thanks mateys!