gear box issues

nimhbk

while looking at the gear box issues at the mo, i have funny one,
gear box is fine when cold, but after about one hour into a drive, if i pull over and stop for a tea break, when i get back into the car the only way i can get any gear apart from reverse, is to go into reverse and back the car up by about 5 inches, and then im able to select all the forward gears. any one else had a strange issue like this :-D

gtir_pimp

yeah, mine selects all gears fine apart from reverse. it will go in but if i select reverse from neutral it crunches into reverse but if i select almost any other gear then put it into reverse it doesnt crunch! and i sometimes,very rarely have to pull forward by a few inches to get it to go in!! i dont know whats going on! selector fork?

dobby

You could try holding the clutch down for a few seconds before trying reverse. It will let the geartrain to stop spinning as maybe the syncro for reverse is worn.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Yep - I'd say worn synchros.
My dad used to have an old 1970s Mercedes 230 compact that was like that; to get reverse you had to go 1st, 2nd, then reverese. Plus, if you were too quick with the forward gears you'd beat the synchro and it would crunch as they caught-up... that's how I learnt to double-clutch.

red reading

clutch fluid might be old and causing it to boil from the latent heat of a stationary engine,or the rubber (if it still is )might be balooning when warm? and the wrong gearbox oil will cause these symptom's too