Gasket

Geo3

Turbo elbow gasket to down pipe gasket. I have a new one fitted then had mapping session. It is now blowing. I have replaced with new gasket and it started to blow again after little while of using car. Anyone have a suggestion or tip to over come this or possible decent gasket?

skiddusmarkus

Did you use the proper multilayer metal one or the eay papery type ones?I've reused multilayer ones before and they've never leaked.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Is this a non-standard elbow? You shouldn't need a gasket on the standard one because it's got that conical interference fit.

Edit: SNAP!

Gaz gtiR

Have you got a custom exhaust & not had a (flexi pipe) fitted in downpipe? If not, the gasket may become a week point!

Geo3

Sorry guys forgot to mention updated elbow and downpipe. Been using eBay jobs! We're can I get a multi layer from?

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
If it's non-standard, can you post a picture or the dimensions of it? - I'm guessing it's a 3" triangular MLS steel one you're after, but for all I know it's one of those crush rings.

Geo3

Yea it's triangler bothe flat surfaces and no were to put crush ring. Can't get pics at the moment im away with work training.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Try using 2 gaskets. I've had to do that on my 3" downpipe to cat join as it blows with only one fitted.

pulsar_stu

On the turbo elbow elbow that came on my turbo, it has a load of white gasket paste. Its an outlet so it won't hurt to put something like gumgum on it I would of thought.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I'd go the other way; rather than put exhaust cement in (which cures rock-hard), I'd use a high-temp silicone (which will be flexible).

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I used some stuff from work for sealing laboratory glassware, but that's not going to be much help. What about the engine gasket stuff; the Loctite high-temperature RTV copper sealant maybe?

I got the idea from the exhaust fitters last time I was in; they had some clear stuff that didn't look particularly special.

wrc

Black RTV sealant at your local motor factors.

Been using it for years on exhausts, works great.