Fuse keeps blowing, help please

A

Anonymous

hi there i am a newbie to this site just bought a black gti r a few days ago, like the forum its brill!!

right, the fuse for the back lights and dashboard lights keeps blowing

i blew about 10 fuses then it worked for a day all lights were fine now it keeps blowing fuses again, i tried about 7 times but blew the fuse straight away

anyone have any ideas??

all feedback shall be grateful

as i said great forum......................

ki_saj_ng

erm, u probably have a short somewhere, a loose connection or something as that is why u keep blowing fuses. try running over the wiring for the lights.

also can i note, if it is an import, once entering the uk fog lights must be added. some extra wiring will have been added to the lights so do double check the wiring, doesnt sound like anything major so dont worry.

saj

O

one Gti-R

I know I know I know :lol:

I had the same problem.

What you have done is changed the head unit recently correct :wink:

what you need to do is re earth the head unit to the chasis of the car.

What you have done is tapped the earth into another earth wire, that is what is causing the fuse to blow all the time.

fix that and the fuse will stop blowing. :D

A

Anonymous

hi there the car came without a headunit and a blown fuse

has the headunit got a link with this fuse though

i have had a look at the tape wires theres a few wires there but they look ok and which is the earth???

help shall be grateful as i cant drive the car in the night

thanks

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
You might have wired the radio earth into the panel illumination feed. Get a multi meter and check which wires are :permanent live, switched live, live with sidelights on and earth, then wire up correctly. :wink:

boucherie

i had the same sort of thing with my car, only the rear lights and dash lights went out when i put it on full beam!! :shock: the easist thing is to make sure that the head unit has its own earth and check the connection for the rear fog lights as its probably that thats blowing your fuses (if its not earthed correctly), if your still having problems once everything has been checked over, then might be worth asking an auto electrician for advice, but they normally cost £35 an hour plus vat

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Remove you head unit and if your fault goes away, it'll be the wiring you've done, if everything's ok with the sidelights off. :wink:

A

Anonymous

everyone thanks for your help especially one Gti-R it was the headunit wires

many thanks