Fuelling on the standard ecu!!!!

MarkTurbo

I've copied this from what i posted on the modifiers site the other day, hopefully it'll open a few peoples eyes to whats possible and stop them wasting money on stuff they dont need :lol:

MarkTurbo said:
Thought i'd start a separate topic about this as its been mentioned quite a bit lately in a few other posts. Hopefully a few other people can add their findings too

Now my car is sorted out after a few niggling problems ive been having lately i thought i'd get the wideband air fuel ratio meter on it and see how far i could push things on the standard ecu I was in a bit of a rush so i've just done it at 1.3 bar for now and i was getting 11.4:1 afr upto 7500 rpm which is still running rich The standard ecu chucks loads of fuel in in the midrange too, i was getting afr's in the 10's! My only fuelling mods are a bosch motorsport pump, im using a totally standard ecu/fuel pressure regulator/injectors/maf etc.

Hopefully this will make good reading for the people that s**t themselves at the thought of running over 1 bar on the standard ecu Obviously you have to get the fuelling checked when upping the boost, i dont want to get the blame for people turning it upto 1.3 bar then blowing their engine up

I've got some software on the way for my laptop that allows you to monitor the ecu, maf voltages/injector duty etc etc so as soon as i get that i'll spend some more time monitoring those and the afr's at different boost levels and post up the results

I'm pretty pleased now my car is sorted, it feels noticeably quicker than when i did the J tuner feature at Bruntingthorpe too
MarkTurbo said:
i wired a voltmeter up to the maf pin on the ecu just now and went out for a blast. At 1.3 bar it was going upto 4.35 volts so i've got a bit to play with there as it dosent max out until 5 volts

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
I've only fitted an uprated fuel pump for the sake of it and to be honest I don't even think I needed it as I was running fine before. I'm on 1bar at the moment and breaking all the rules:oops: (well the 2 I know of, so don't take my advice:p ) so I might just have to wind the boost up somemore to whup Dooies ****:lol:

One thing to keep an eye on tho is detonation. You can still det if you push the standard turbo too far and start heating up the charge temp too much;-)

Personally I think a good condition R with no dodgy earths etc should run more boost than people normally give credit for on the standard fuelling without any extra gizmos, like mine and Marks do.

But always get your fuelling checked when you up the boost

Dooie Pop Pop

Fast Guy said:
so I might just have to wind the boost up somemore to whup Dooies ****:lol:
:roll: my ****?:lol: tell you what...lend me your wheels and suspension for a rwyb;-)

Last edited:

MarkTurbo

Turn it up Carl, you know you want to ;-)

You dont even want to know what boost mine is running at the moment, well was running until i took the turbo off just now :lol:

I've been playing around again ;-) Starting to get paranoid about ringlands now :oops: :lol:

Fire & skill

Vintage member
its funny this has been brought up - brings me onto another subject : the std fuel pump. now dont get me wrong i know a walbro is only at most £80 but what i dont get is the fact when im running a std pump my R was always popping and banging, blowing flames during gearchanges and lifting off throttle quickly. i then fit the walbro and it doesn't do it as much, correct me if i'm wrong but doesn't this seem from an outsiders point of view that the std pump was more up to the job?

oh and this has been the same on the 3 r's i've fitted walbros to

i ran my first R on the std pump and ecu set up, got the fuelling checked out on a RR at 1.3 bar and it was still overfuelling. i had lots of people saying i was being suicidal!!

MarkTurbo

Dooie Pop Pop said:
1.5bar and your nutty:lol:
I dont know what your talking about :fish:

When i had a standard fuel pump 1.2 bar was about its limit cos i tried it with a wideband to check the fuelling ;-) If i can get my mates wideband air fuel ratio meter hooked upto my laptop to log the data i'll post all the reults up. Wont be for a few weeks though!

T

The Troll

Take a well manked up 15 year old AFM and a weak 15 year old fuel pump and run it at 1.3 bar, it will be fine, honest. It works fine on mine, so thats ok then.

The only good bit of advice in this whole thread -

"But always get your fuelling checked when you up the boost"

I found that as soon as I turned the boost up to 1.3 bar plus my standardf afm was going to 5.1/5.2 and obviously maxing out.
When it was maxing out it was throwing loads of fuel in to be safe so I ended up with my apexi afc set on -35% odd at top end.
Doing this got my afr's up to around 11.7 but I didn't like the idea of the tuning the car on the basis of the maf maxing out, so changed it.

Chiffs

Had mine on the rollers recently and its overfueling like a mofo, doing mid 10 on lambda at high rpm running 1.1bar with these mods
filter
exhaust
fmic
walbro
emanage not mapped

data loogged runs and injectors got up to 98%:shock: and 4.78 volts on afm

So not quite sure whats going on there, need to map the emanage really i guess

F

Fusion Ed

Old thread but some facts from a data log I did recently.
There is an ECU cut at around 4.8v MAF sensor voltage on the stock ECU. Im surprised people here are getting what they claim, which may be possible but certaintly was not on this otherwise stock GTiR I worked with! It was hitting this limit on less than 1.2 bar boost, and which then had to be capped mapped around this limit.