Fuel Pump Wiring help needed.

dotalot

My fuel pump has stopped working and I want to hit it with the power probe to check if its the pump itself.
Can anyone tell me which plug i need and which pin is 12v+??

Trip

Remove the metal cover and you should find 2 plugs connected to the fuel tank plastic lid. One plug has 3 pins, the other has 2. The fuel pump supply is the one with 2 pins. Before going to the hassle of checking the plugs, check the fuse and relay first.

dotalot

Ok I seem to have an electrical fault somewhere. Wonder has anyone came across anything similar???
The car was driving fine and came out of work one day and it wont start.
Check spark - ok, check fuel - no fuel
Check fuses and relay - all ok
There seems to be a weak voltage getting to the pump, because my test lamp lights up very dim and the pump does not work at all.
The pump is 100% because i ran a feed from the battery to drive it home.
Anyone know anywhere that there could be a bad connection or why its getting a weak voltage??? Just before I start to rewire the whole thing.
Thanks in advance.

PulsarLee

hiya,

did you ever get this sorted m8, think i have a similar problem but my R seems to cut out intermitantly when driving slow or fast and sometimes just peters out on idle. when i start back up, sometimes hear the pump prime - then fires up, other times no prime noise and wont start. think there is a connection / woring issue.

cheers

Lee

darkyGTI-R

I had the very same problem the mechanic said that the live feed wire had burnt out in the back not sure if he meant under the back seats anywhere though,as this is all I was told I was just glad to get it back on the road,I also couldn't hear the pump priming:)
Hope this will help you get it sorted?

PulsarLee

thanks darky,

did you get it sorted then? what sort of cost was it to fix and anywhere in mids area.
Im worried about the effect this fuel cut out might have on the engine while im driving at any speed.

Also dont know if anyone has any thoughts, but if there is a connection problem to the fuel pump and there is a fuel cut out, could this cause the det sensor to show a fault as mine is showing fault 34 since ive had this fuel supply problem.

thoughts anyone???

cheers
Lee

dotalot

Yeah mate, I just ran new live wire from the fuel pump relay in the engine bay right through the car to the fuel pump and problem cured.
You would spend some time trying to find the weak spot in the original loom.

PulsarLee

Hi Guys,

Just had my R checked and sorted after drawing a blank with the fuel supply / pump problems. Turned out it was a loose terminal on the fuel tank screw cap that sits on top of the walbro. Anyway sorted now... However, I was thinking that the running lean could have been what was setting the 34 knock sensor warning light. but still showing it and the car feels sluggish / flat.

My query is this, If i check the timing while the car shows 34. (knock sensor) would it show that the timing has been retarded automatically? if i replace the knock sensor apart from wiping the codes with a piece of wire, do i need to do anything else to reset the ecu back to normal mode - how can i tell if it has re adjusted the timings & settings back to normal?

sorry about all the questions, hope i make sense. lol

Cheers Guys,

Lee