Fuel pump conection help!!!!!

PulsarLee

Hi Guys, hoping someone can help as im totally fed up now..........:cry:

been having probs with my R cutting out for weeks now.........has let me down on numerous occasions - usually as im on my way to a trackday or show,,,,:x

after checking everything over time and time again, and costing me loads. ive found out that the problem is the fuel pump connection. Mt R has a walbro but it seems that the pump works fine as is the loom leading to it. However, under the fuel tank screw cap where the connections go onto the walbro, there is some arcing and a poor connection. I cant afford to replace the full pump atm plus it works fine but was hoping i could pick a second hand connection up from the room....... if anyone has one of any suggestions id be over the moon as ive already missed out on this weekends trip to Cadwell.

cheers guys

Lee

Braveheart

can you not re-wire it. there will be two wires connected inside the tank that may have crimp connectors..... remove crimp and hard wire tails by soldering. Do the same with external plug connector. obviously insulate each soilder connector well to avoid shorting.

PulsarLee

thanks fella, ill take another look. Do you have any photographs as i havent seen inside the tank yet.

cheers

lee

P

pulsarboby

lee.....i had a similar problem to this and it turned out to be a connector near the ecu!
if you pull the lefthand side panel off the stereo surround (near ecu) you will find a white plastic multiplug thats clipped to inside of the stereo surround centre consul. i found this was making a poor connection and causing car to intermittantly cut out (especially on hard cornering) as the wires were being pulled
my ecu and piggyback were causing this as they were not bolted in place by a bracket so hense the wires pulling when going round a bend etc.
worth checking that out first because if its a bad connection there then it will cause arcing at the tank end too

dotalot

I had the same problem, the live wire running to the pump still shows live when I tested it, but it will have a bad connection somewhere and cant deliver enough current to run the pump.
The easiest was to know for sure is to run a feed to it from somewhere else. I ran one from the taillights, just remember to put a big fuse in so the taillight fuse wont blow. Then drive it for a day or two just using the lights to power the pump, and if it cures it then run a new wire from the relay in the engine bay, the whole way through the car, like I said in the other thread.

PulsarLee

Thanks for the advice guys,

Bob, do you have one of the connections that joins the top of the walbro to the fuel tank screw cap?? I took the car to John Noble in Chesterfield and they temporarly fixed the problem, said the fuel pump was ok but had "seen signs of arcing and a bad connection between the plug that connects to the pump which in under the white fuel tank screw"?? Was ok for 2 days, but now back to normal cutting out all the time. Do you know what this item is Bob / do you have one m8 as i was hoping to drice over to Cadwell on 18th Aug when I get back from Sharm.lol

Thanks,

Lee

snoon

Ihad same issue, I replaced the whole connector/lid thingy - Wasn't cheap from Nissan tho

darkyGTI-R

Nissan is well pricey i bought 5 rocker studs,2washers and the rocker gasket £42 I nearlly died and if you order the wrong parts you can not get a refund!An absolute joke of customer service too "We don't deal with imports we have to send away!"

Braveheart

thanks fella, ill take another look. Do you have any photographs as i havent seen inside the tank yet.

cheers

lee
Sorry for late reply..... been busy... :doh:
Sounds like u are making headway..... here's a couple of pics all the same!