fuel pressure regulator

DaveGtir

Hi guys,took my car to the NW RR day last saturday and was advised that i needed to increase my fuel pressure,as it was running a bit lean mid range,even with an uprated fuel pump.apparantley the original regulator is restricting the fuel.

my car is running 0.9 bar boost,and has "Race cams"

I've just bought an uprated adjustable FPR so do i set the fuel pressure to 3 bar as advised when i did a search on here,or will it need more pressure do you think???

Regards Dave

Trondelond

If you set it to 3bar (or 2.991 as the manual states IIRC), you'll be running stock fuel pressure. If you are going to stop it running lean, you'll have to up the pressure with the FPR. But - this also means that your map needs to be rescaled accordingly, as you'll run rich in the rest of the register.

Trondelond

As I have an Apexi PFC, I'm not too knowledgeable when it comes to the standard ECU. You should be able to do some modifications to it, and then have it mapped, and there are other options as well. I'm sure someone with more experience than me will drop by, or you could do the honurable thing and search first! ;)

DaveGtir

think i'm gonna have to go down the route of a power fc aswell,unless i can get it re-mapped,fingers crossed :lol:.
i'll have a search round now and see what i can find,thanks for your help mr trondeland:lol:

Regards Dave

shroom

if you have a look for fusion Ed on here, he can use nistune as a "daughter" board on the original ecu, this can be mapped to your desire and solve your problems but from my knowlesge and reading you should not need a FPR realy

stumo

I would set the pressure to 3 Bar and see how it is before messing with the pressure.

Make sure the vac pipe is disconnected from the FPR, run the engine and set it to 3Bar.

refit the vac pipe

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I would set the pressure to 3 Bar and see how it is before messing with the pressure.
Eh; set the pressure before messing with the pressure?
Have you missed a word out Stu; I think I understand what you mean.

Set the pressure to what it should be (rather than higher) and see how you go. - If it is a faulty FPR there is no need to increase the pressure, just return it to where it should be... then there's no need to remap (unless you're looking for an excuse to spend the money)?

stumo

Eh; set the pressure before messing with the pressure?
Have you missed a word out Stu; I think I understand what you mean.

Set the pressure to what it should be (rather than higher) and see how you go. - If it is a faulty FPR there is no need to increase the pressure, just return it to where it should be... then there's no need to remap (unless you're looking for an excuse to spend the money)?
set the pressure to the correct setting ie 3Bar with the vac hose disconnected BEFORE dicking about with the pressure like all the other dumbasses.

Is that clear enough for you George?:der:

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Yes. You're saying I should pierce the diaphragm in mine with a screwdriver, and that will make my car have more power on the dyno. ;-)

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Did you use a flat-head screwdriver?

I just want to make lots of smoke like Jim did... that could be useful when some chav is chasing me; smoke-screen!

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
:oops: I didn't think smoke screens were desirable :oops:

I went to my local hydraulics shop to get some new oil hose. They got me the same hose and just before they handed it over asked if it was for an engine. I said yes. They said they would get me something stronger as it might wear over time :doh::doh: :lol: "no sh*t sherlock" as they say.

I also asked them about fuel hose, they just got some teflon lined fuel hose at £20 a metre.

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
@Dave, buy a wideband lambda sensor with a guage. You can check yourself on the car what is happening.

As stu says the starting point is to fix what is broken. If its your FPR then you should fix that first. BUT, it could be a leaky vac pipe to your FPR or blocked injectors.

At 0.9Bar, fitting a PFC is unecessary.

What FPR did you go for? The SARD ones are fine but the Nismo one is a direct fit.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
To be honest, I'd be tempted to fit a known-good original one again.

All jokes aside, the fuelling was good one mine at 1bar (although the ignition was a problem, that was about it) - I don't see why you can't save some money on the FPR... unless you've already bought it (in which case ditch the original one, it's no good and has no 'bling' factor under your bonnet.)

For a long time I thought Craige101 had a standard fuel rail, but it turns-out DP are tricksity and had hidden it out of sight... Obviously I haven't seen the new car yet, but I'm excited about having it in Time Attack.

gtir_pimp

the standard FPR is not restricting you at 0.9bar unless its broken or you are running big power.
i had low fuel pressure when i went to get mapped and it was because there wasnt enough voltage to the fuel pump so it could be that. also fusion ed will map your standard ecu. definately no need for a PFC