Front Shocks

B19 REK

Does anybody know if the standard GTI-R front shocks can be rebuilt? or are they goosed if the damping goes.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Sometimes you can get Koni inserts for factory dampers, but I don't know if you can get them for ours.

Jon Olds

If you can get them they will be a good solution. I have used them on a clubman rally car, and they work well.
You may be able to match them to something else, as they have only a few key dimensions. Main Koni distributor may be able to help
Jon

B19 REK

I know that the rear shocks on a Sunny GTI are different to a GTI-R, not sure about the fronts?
Basically I have just bought a used but very new looking (no rust or marks at all) second hand pair of front shocks but one of them has lost its damping slightly and it would be good to fix it rather than bin it due to its condition.

B19 REK

Panic over!

The shocks are fine. The garage I took them to said they must have been laid down for a while and the oil needs to settle inside them. So after several pumps on the shocks they are now the same feeling when compressing and rebound.
Didn't waste my money:-D