Front Mount Size

STU4X4

Hi Guys, Just After A Bit Of Info On What Size Is Ideal For A Front Mount Intercooler?

Me Being Me I Dont Want To Get A Kit Off Ebay Etc As I Want To Try And Retain The Air Con Which Is Still Working Superbly And I Want To Keep The Pipework As Short As Possible.

What Core Size Should I Be Looking For, Bigger Isnt Always The Most Efficient And Im Not Looking For Anything More Then 300 Brake, The Front Mount Will Probably Just Be For Better Efficiency/safety Of The Engine.

Cheers
Stu

warringtonjack

If you dont want anymore than 300 horsies then dont even think about the big 4". The normal ebay cooler cores are 3", but even then you may be better off going for something even slimmer for that sort of power, to try and help reduce lag. To be honest though, the lag from the 3" will hardly be noticeable.

johnsy

iv got a tmic and cant wait to get a front mount fitted, HEATSOAK its a nightmare,bag of shit when the charge air is being superheated by my george forman grill, Front mount is the way forward in my eyes no matter what power your looking for its a safety modification for your engine asmuch as anything

alfyboy

you could go for an evo 7 intercooler, im in the middle of fitting mine, pipework is 2 thirds shorter than the ebay 1s. If you cut the bumber bar and mount as far forward as you can you should be able to keep your a/c

donpulsar

South Yorkshire Regional Rep
I'm running an Evo 6 intercooler and the pipework is nice n'short :) However i junked my aircon ages ago - though you should be able to wangle the pipework so you can keep the aircon.

Whatever you do, don't cut all the middle out of the bumper bar as you'll lose the main crumple/impact zone at the front and the bumper will sag as there's nowt to hold it on! I ended up cutting part of it away but left plenty of metal in place. Also had it welded to improve strength.

Plenty of Evo's are running round with 400bhp + on the std evo FMIC - if its good enough for them it's good enough for me! :D