front mount and Turbo

A

abreesa

Can anyone tell me how much difference a frt mount intercooler makes.
I have a top mount HKS one at present and i kepp being told you lose power cos of the engines heat rising into the cooler.

So how vital is it?
And what Turbo comes standard on an R?

Stuart

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
If you're running standard boost, a front mount will make little difference, maybe a few more lb/ft of torque. When you start upping the boost the gains will be higher as the standard intercooler wasn't designed with high boost in mind. Heat soak can be a problem with the standard top mount, but I didn't notice it on my car. They also say a front mount increases lag, it might a little, but don't worry about it.
The standard turbo is a T28.

A

abreesa

T28, All i can see on the cold side is GARRETT 60 M24
I think my R is running about 15-17psi so should i bother at all with the intercooler

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
I think I would at that boost, it's an extra bit of insurance against detonation if you're fuelling isn't spot on.

Davey

i noticed a big difference when i fitted my frount mount, havent got any power figures, but it is definatley more torquey,. Having said that, my car seemed to suffer very badly from heat soak before, so you might not notice such a big difference :)

coxie

to be honest i can't say i have noticed the lag increasing since i fitted my front mount earlier last year.but it has help me run more boost at a constant level, ie no heat soak now :D

NISR227

Re front mount, if you have no intention of running more than 1bar (14.5psi), and it looks like you are already higher than this, then I would say go for it to reduce detonation, combined with a decent fuel pump and fuel controller.

I only use my car as a weekend blast car now, so heatsoak isn't a problem becuase I use loads of local B roads away from all the of stationary traffic. Having said that, I'm hoping to have one soon, becuase you never know, some look bloody geat, are a peace of mine, better for continous hard driving at high boost, and IMO get you better respect from other R users and a more sorted car.

Davey

Re front mount, if you have no intention of running more than 1bar (14.5psi), and it looks like you are already higher than this, then I would say go for it to reduce detonation, combined with a decent fuel pump
Shouldnt that be if he IS intending to go over 1 bar m8? :D