Front Ball joints

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
For those that don't know, the front ball joints on the GtiR are connected to the arm.

After some honest opions on the condition of other members 2nd hand joints (Appreciated as it saved a lot of hassle) I realised the only option was to go new for the front ball joints.

Other memebers also advised using Nismo but these would have worked out at nearly £100 for a pair.

Another useful tip I didn't have the guts to try out is that Primara joints are the same.... and a lot cheaper.

In the end I went for Blue Print front arms from my local motor factors at £110 an arm. Not the cheapest option but hopefully the safest and least hassle.

I pick them up late today so I can comment about their quality. Watch this space.

Thought I'd post for anyone searching in the future.... Even though most people can't seem to find the little search icon at the top!

Jim

O

Odin

Hi Jim.

As you know I fitted the nismo replacements, I'm not sure what you mean by the safest option once you bang you old joints out and press in the new one's there still a very tight fit and have a c-clip to hold them in place to.

rob

Keira

why not just fit standard model sunny ball joints ???

Think they're about £16 according to mike and exactly the same as those on the gtir as he's used them before, i've got to order some, infact i'm going to do it now :)

A

Anonymous

Yep, Primera 2.0 and Sunny GTi ball joints are the same part number and on some motor factors databases are listed to fit the GTi-R too. Mine failed the MOT yesterday on the ball joints so I'm replacing them tonight with GTi ones. £14.70 each, so I'll let you know how I get on.

A

Anonymous

While we're on the subject, does anyone have any tips to replacing the ball joints? From looking at them yesterday, I gather once the c-clip and and nut is removed that you can just press them out of the lower arm. Can you do this with the arm on the car, or is it better to remove the arm and use a press?

How long would you expect this job to take for someone with access to a fully equipped garage, air tools and a 4 post lift?

O

Odin

What I did with mine was to remove the wishbone's from the car then give them a good soaking in WD40 leave overnight, Then I knocked the old one's out with a BIG hammer :twisted: after removeing the c-clip of coause :wink: .

Then I gave them to my fathering law who took them to work and pressed in the new one's in for me :D .

rob

Keira

Would say you will definately have to get them off.

what i did was put the ball joint splitter on the wrong way :roll: sit there like a prick for a bit and wondered why it wouldn't come out then resorted to ringing mike to ask him how to do it :lol:

You will need to remove the split pin and undo the nut on top slightly, put the ball joint splitter on the right way and wind it down to pop it out, undo the nut completely and it should come out. The rest is easy to get it off 8) Once i got that far i had to grind off some spot welds (mike had already changed them, yours shouldn't be welded) on the base of the ball joint where its held into the lower arm, removed the clip and then twatted the fookers with my new favourite tool ( 4lb lump hammer ) and out they came. If your taking the lower arms off do the whiteline anti-lift kit whilst you're at it if it isnt there already.

As for it being easy, i managed it :wink:

Keira

Whats different about them then that warrants a price of £100 :?:

cant see what you can do to a ball joint to make it much better

A

Anonymous

Well I've just got back in from replacing my ball joints and it's simple as anything. Take the wheel off, then undo the top ball joint nut, take off the anti-roll bar nut, then remove the three other bolts that hold the lower arm to the chassis. Took the arm off, used a socket and three ton press to push out the old ball joint, pressed the new joint in, put it back on the car, zipped all the nuts up with the air gun, job done!

I didn't have any welds or anything to contend with, the ball joints are just pushed in to the arm and secured with a c-clip. You could easily do the job with just a big hammer, vise and a socket set.

So to confirm, Sunny GTi and Primera 2.0 16v ball joints are EXACTLY the same as the Pulsar GTi-R ones. You DO NOT need to buy a whole lower arm, just a pair of £14 ball joints for a UK car from any decent motor factor.

Now I can finally pick up my MOT cert in the morning, tax my R and put my MR2 away for the winter :D

Keira

everyone now knows how to change a ball joint and to save themselves some money in the process 8)

ex-gtir

when you fit the standard sunny one for a second time you have to tak weld them in place as the hole gets a bit slack ( :lol: )

A

Anonymous

Sorry for shifting the topic a little bit... but does that mean the Primera 2.0 axle same as the ones in GTiR?

Thanks!

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
All good and interesting experiences. I truly understand the ball joint on the Gti-R now. I admit I copped out by going the blue print route and getting the new arm as replacing the ball joints looks straight forward.

Rob, when I said it was safer, its because I'm half way through building an en-suite and moving the garage. I didn't really want to have the car in bits with the machine shop saying the new ball joint doesn't quite fit your arms because some PO has done something else etc with my wife asking when will the drains be done. For me, to pay the extra now to get a part that will 100% work first time was "safer". From other people's experiences, replacing the ball joints sounds a good option.

For the record, the blue print arms are £112 each inc VAT, they come with new ball joints, gaiters, snap pins and 2 bushes to the mounting points. As a one job does all, its still gives me piece of mind given that my bushes and gaiters are probably 13 years old too.

I did consider the anti dive kit to save effort later. Will seriously consider buying it now.

Thanks for all the views, Jim